align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Leeds Movie Fans Meetup Group Message Board › The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears - Review minor spoilers

The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears - Review minor spoilers

Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 846
This movie is kind of what the LIFF is all about, a film I wouldn't have gone to see normally, but because I bought a pass I did do, and I really enjoyed it, even if it was super weird.

The film should really be called Kaleidoscope except there is already a movie called that, so they gave this a really catchy title. Also, it features on the main poster hanging outside the Town Hall, so LIFF think it is an important movie, and I can see why.

The movie is mega stylish, and sensuous, with a fractured plot about the tenants of an old vampiresque building in Brussels that has secret passages and contains at least one serial killer who likes to slice his victims in the top of the head. The women in the film are all pretty gorgeous, and kinky with it. One particularly gorgeous neighbour likes to smoke on the top of the building wearing nothing but high heels. Another wears head to toe red leather. The main protaganist has lost his wife, and there is an older woman who has lost her husband, and a police inspector investigating these disappearances.

The film is sumptuously filmed but is non-linear, with repetitive images and sequences, especially involving knives slicing into flesh, indeed this is the major theme of the movie. About half way through I got pretty annoyed with one never ending dream-awake-dream sequence where we see the main actor answering the door bell, it was like tripping. Happily the movie made more sense as it went along, although the ending was, in vein with the rest of the film, obscure and difficult to nail down.

The identity of the killer seemed to be revealed but then not, to the extent that all the inhabitants seemed tainted by this, almost like this was purgatory. The skill of the movie was that it lead to all kinds of possible interpretations, and it was certainly one of the most interesting of all the movies I've seen at the LIFF this year, even if I would find it hard to recommend to any but the most hard core of us. 8/10 its nice to see something completely different.