|Sent on:||Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:36 AM|
COP on the Hill
Stories from the week of February 14, 2014
Good week to be sick: Snow did shut down the government for a day and a half. My cold turned into bronchitis…
Karen shaking her head: I did go in on Wednesday for Grover’s meeting and I really wanted to meet with John Conyers’ chief legal counsel. Karen could not stop me. And of course I came home and spent next two days flat on my back.
Police abuse: I was headed into the House Office Bldg, when the Capitol Police officer motioned me over. He had many questions about marijuana policy around the country and locally. As he inspected the cars for bombs & bad guys, we chatted…And chatted in the sharp wind and 20 degree temperature.
I made eye contact with two aides I knew and at least one Congressman, as they drove by in their cars. Always good to be seen talking to a Good Guy with a gun.
Elevator chat: Congressman Pierluisi of Puerto Rico was chatting with his aide before we entered the elevator. In the elevator I asked her in Spanish to help with a translation. In English I said, “How does one best translate: 5-6-7 teens are shot everyday because of their employment as drug dealers?” She gave me the translation and the crowded elevator knew my politics. BTW, Puerto Rico has been experiencing massive, new violence in drug prohibition cases.
Oh and I did catch Conyer’s staffer and he promised to talk to the Congressman. As this goes out, I am back to almost healthy. Karen is still shaking her head.
· 1487 Presentations to Congressional staffers.. 01 this week
COP stats since inception: August 2009
55 brief chats with Members of Congress.. this week
76 published letters to the editor (value per MAPINC in free publicity: $75,000).. this week
40 Radio Interviews.. this week
· 48 chats with other elected officials, state reps, senators, VIPs, etc. 0
· 65 interviews and reports in minor media = blogs, cable TV, weekly papers, etc.. this week
· 23 published interviews in major (daily)newspapers or magazine… 00 this week
· 17 major conferences attended.. this week (CPAC, LULAC, NRA, CBC, ASA, DPA, Dem & Repub. Presidential conventions. etc) this week
· 34 Appearances on major TV networks..this week(Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, Univision)
· 2 editorials in daily papers mentioning Howard’s efforts & in support of COP position
· Weekly attendance at Grover Norquist’s Wednesday brunch attended by 150 conservative leaders. Named the “Grand Central Station of the Conservative Movement.”
· Consider being a member of COP at $30.00 or more per year. All contributions are tax-deductible. 30 dollars buys all the copy paper COP uses in one year. Law Enforcement’s voice in opposition to current policy is vital on the Hill to achieve a repeal of federal prohibition. COP provides that voice. If you agree that Modern Prohibition/War on Drugs is the most destructive, dysfunctional and immoral policy since slavery & Jim Crow and want to be a part of the solution… Go to:
· www.CitizensOpposingProhibition.org and click on Donate/Join – by credit card or send a check to:
· Citizens Opposing Prohibition
· POB 543
· Buckeystown, MD 21717