|Sent on:||Monday, May 19, 2014 4:33 PM|
COP on the Hill
Stories from the week of May 16, 2014
Anatomy of a good day: Riding the escalator to catch the subway, the woman behind said, “Excuse me. I just started reading a book on marijuana policy and it starts with a guy riding his horse across America with a jacket just like yours. Would you know anything about him?”
“Guilty, ma’am. The book describes a bit of my 6 month ride.” Her eyes lit up and we had a nice chat till the train arrived.
Later: Grabbing my slice of pepperoni pizza at the Longworth café, the woman in charge of pizzas, a woman my age, out of the blue, thanked me for all my efforts, loves it when I wear the T-shirt ( I wasn't) and knew I was making Washington, DC a better place for her to live.
I was truly humbled by her effusive praise and my feet did not touch the ground, as I walked to my table. Some people notice and appreciate; which is crucial as I enter my ninth year on the Hill.
Resistance approaches zero: As I met with staffers this week, going thru 54 doors to chat make presentations to 20 legislatives aides (good ratio, given the House was in recess), I realized on the train home that I had not encountered one pushback all week. Works for me.
I must emphasize that I am speaking of the aides, not the Members. The bill HR 1523 - to repeal federal marijuana prohibition - languishes at 28 supporters, 7 of whom are Republicans.
1528 Presentations to Congressional staffers.. 20 this week
· COP stats since inception: August 2009
· 81 chats with other elected officials, state reps, senators, VIPs, etc. 1 this week
· 41 Radio Interviews.. this week
· 81 interviews and reports in minor media = blogs, cable TV, weekly papers, etc.. this week
· 36 Appearances on major TV networks..this week (Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, Univision)… this week
· 18 major conferences attended.. this week (United Nations drug conf, CPAC, LULAC, NRA, CBC, ASA, DPA, Dem & Repub. Presidential conventions. etc) this week
· 26 published interviews in major (daily)newspapers or magazine… this week
78 published letters to the editor (value per MAPINC in free publicity: $75,000).. this week
55 brief chats with Members of Congress.. this week
· 2 editorials in daily papers mentioning Howard’s efforts & in support of COP position
· Weekly attendance at Grover Norquist’s Wednesday brunch attended by 150 conservative leaders. Named the “Grand Central Station of the Conservative Movement.”
· Consider being a member of COP at $30.00 or more per year. All contributions are tax-deductible. 30 dollars buys all the copy paper COP uses in one year. Law Enforcement’s voice in opposition to current policy is vital on the Hill to achieve a repeal of federal prohibition. COP provides that voice. … Go to: · www.CitizensOpposingProhibition.org and click on Donate/Join – by credit card or send a check to:
· Citizens Opposing Prohibition
· Buckeystown, MD 21717