Edvisors, (www.edvisors.com) a fast growing online marketing company serving college students, is seeking an Data Guru with 2-5 years experience to join our development team. This role focuses on 3 key areas to hone your kung-fu data-slinging skills:
- Database Administration
- Internal and External Reporting
- Data Mining and Warehousing
You’ll begin by focusing on learning everything there is regarding MySQL database administration, how Edvisors’ database has been set up and what Edvisors is currently doing with the data to manage and grow its’ business.
Once familiar with our business and data needs, your skills will be leveraged to help improve the performance of our existing MySQL server deployments through optimizing: server configuration, overall data structure, and the SQL code base. You’ll be a key contributor as we determine the future platform for our data reporting. Primary responsibilities will also include providing data reporting to our internal and external clients (through creation and maintaining existing PHP reporting scripts).
The ideal candidate…
- 1-3 years experience or coursework in designing, developing and maintaining relational databases and database systems.
- Experience with one or more of the following scripting languages: PHP, Perl, bash, sh, Ruby, or TCL
- Strong familiarity with Linux, Unix, or BSD
- Strong understanding of SQL fundamentals
- Some experience with an enterprise reporting tool such as Business Objects, Crystal Reports, or Cognos
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, and willingness to document departmental standards and procedures
- Bachelor degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related science
- Experience with MySQL or PostGreSQL
- Experience with a web-based programming a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel a plus
- Ability to research and troubleshoot technical problems
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Strong preference for candidate with any prior IT experience—as a small company any internal IT skill we can leverage is considered highly valuable.
- Maintaining and Improving data reporting and transformation PHP scripts
- Providing data reporting to internal and external clients as needed
- Ensure data remains consistent across the primary and replicated databases;
- Ensure provisions for data security and recovery control (all data is retrievable in an emergency).
- Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast query responses to 'front end' users;
- Monitoring slow query logs to recommend performance improvements (hey, I strongly suggest you change your query to stop full-table searching for an un-indexed zip code field that’s stored as a varchar…)
- Refining the ‘logical design’ (we really need an index on…)
- Further refining the ‘physical design’ to meet system storage requirements (um guys, we’re out of space, memory…)
- Capacity planning (uh, guys, in 2 months we’ll be out of space, memory, etc…)
- Installing and testing new versions of the database management system
- Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions
- Communicating regularly with technical and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security;
- Commissioning and installing new applications.
If interested, please email your resume to Ray Plante (email@example.com)
Edited by Raymond Plante on Apr 26, 2010 1:05 PM