Chicago WordPress Meetup Group Message Board › Chicago WordPress Meetup Group - February 2010 Monthly Update

Chicago WordPress Meetup Group - February 2010 Monthly Update

Edmund Dantes H.
EdmundDantes45
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to all new members of Chicago WordPress Meetup Group. Thanks to our members like yourself, we are quickly becoming one of the fastest growing WordPress Meetup Groups within the global Meetup.com network. More about that below.

I want to share with our growing WordPress Community some exciting developments with WordPress and our Meetup Group. This February 2010 Monthly Update includes news about our growth, schedule highlights for February and March 2010. In addition, I want to introduce some key members in our group that play significant roles in what happens behind the scenes. And last, I want to mention incentives and plans for 1-Day WordPress Workshop scholarships and thanks.

COMMUNITY LINKS
Thanks to Debbie Kong for creating a LinkedIn page for Chicago WordPress. You can join and link to all of our social media pages from the home page under the sponsors section.

$100 LOGO DESIGN CONTEST MARCH 2010
Next month I will announce a competition for members only to design a new logo for Chicago WordPress Meetup Group. The winning entry will receive $100 cash gift card. Members will vote online for the winner. Complete details will be available in a special email later this month. Stay tuned.

SOCIAL MEDIA VOLUNTEER COMMITTEE
Chicago WordPress Meetup Group is in need of a social media makeover. Ideally I would like to do this in April 2010. I am looking for 2-3 people to work directly with me in crafting a basic Social Media action plan and implementing it over a 2-3month period. If this sounds like something you can devote a few hours each month for 2-3 months to let me know via email.

CHICAGO WORDPRESS MEETUP GROUP RANKED NO. 13 WORLDWIDE
I am happy to report that we are now ranked No. 13 within the worldwide Meetup.com network. See ranking list here­.

Our goal is to be ranked within the top 10 by Spring 2010, which means we must increase membership to just above 300 strong (40 more members needed). Please recommend and or invite someone you know that is using WordPress to join. You can invite them from this invite link.

WORDPRESS 3.0 COMING
WordPress will announce version 3.0 this year and it will fuel what is now the most popular open-source solution for blogs and websites. We have scheduled a specific Saturday Meetup on February 20th from 2:30PM - 5:00PM to discuss What's New in WordPress 3.0. This is a FREE event (all regular Meetup events are free except 1-Day WordPress Workshop).

TATV SHOW TAPING, FEB 5th - 2PM-5PM
Bruce Montgomery, producer and host of Technology Access Television Show will interview 2-3 members of Chicago WordPress Meetup Group Friday, Feb 5th. There are no more slots available as of this email.

Last night on Cable channel 21 there were broadcasts of previously taped TATV shows that included two members of Chicago WordPress Meetup Group. These members attended the last TATV Show taping session.

EMBEDDING YOUTUBE VIDEO IN WORDPRESS - FEB 10th 6PM-8PM
On Wednesday, February 10th, our WordPress After Hours event will demonstrate how to embed YouTube Videos in WordPress. Our case study for the evening will be the actual videos of Chicago WordPress Meetup Group members who were interviewed on TATV Show. Again, this is a FREE event so sign up as space is limited. RSVP Now.

PRESIDENT'S DAY WORDPRESS COFFEE - FEB 15th 7:45AM-10AM
On Monday, February 15th, we will have a WordPress Coffee. This means we will have an open discussion about WordPress. You bring the topic and come when your schedule allows within that time frame. This is a FREE session. RSVP Now.

WHAT'S NEW IN WORDPRESS 3.0 - FEB 20th 2:30PM-5PM
On Saturday, February 20th, Dan Jallits will take members through an overview of changes we can expect in the next major release of WordPress (3.0). Be sure to RSVP for this informative session. This is a FREE session. RSVP now.

WEB HOSTING OPTIONS & CACHING WORDPRESS WEBSITE / BLOG CONTENT FOR SPEEDY DOWNLOAD - FEB 24th 6PM-8PM
Our second WordPress After Hours this month will take place on Wednesday, February 24th. The topics will be Web Hosting Options & Caching WordPress Content for Speedy Download. Our goal for this Meetup is to have a local or regional Web Hosting provider discuss web hosting and caching solutions for our members. If you have a recommendation please drop me a note and I will explore your suggestion. This can also be a Live Skype Webcam presentation if the person is not in Chicago. This is a FREE session. RSVP now.

1-DAY WORDPRESS WORKSHOP - MAR 13th 8:30AM-5:30PM
Our third 1-Day WordPress Workshop will take place on Saturday, March 13th. This event will take place at OfficePort CHI, located at 9 West Washington Street, Floor 4, Chicago, IL 60602. Our goal is to get 20 registrations for this event. You can download a 1-Page PDF handout ­here.

1-DAY WORDPRESS WORKSHOP ATTENDEE SCHOLARSHIPS
Several members have asked for a scholarship to attend 1-Day WordPress Workshop. In response to this, and as part of the original plan for this event, I will make this happen (based on registrations).

For every 10 paid registrations I will make available 1 full-day scholarship and 1 1/2 day scholarship to members of Chicago WordPress Meetup Group.

So if 20 people register for the 1-Day WordPress Workshop on March 13th I will make available 2-full day slots and 2 1/2 day slots for members who would like to attend but are unable to do so for economic reasons. More details will be forthcoming on how this selection process will work as 1-Day WordPress Workshop registrations increase. RSVP Now.

THANKS TO 1-DAY WORDPRESS WORKSHOP PRESENTERS
Some of the key people behind the development and growth of Chicago WordPress Meetup Group are not so visible. I would like to mention these individuals who have graciously shared their time and energy to help make 1-Day WordPress Workshop a great value and help Meetup attendees with their WordPress challenges.

SPECIAL THANKS TO LIVEBLOGGER & ATTENDEES
I would also like to thank Marci Hill of TheWriteDesignCo.com­ for providing liveblogging at the January 30th 1-Day WordPress Workshop.

And last but not least thanks to all attendees of our regular Meetup sessions and 1-Day WordPress Workshops.

Hope to see you at the next Chicago WordPress Meetup Group event.

Dante Hamilton
Organizer
Chicago WordPress Meetup Group
Phone: 312-281-4864
Email: dante@iwnwebsiteservices.com