Nash.rb Message Board › Best Rails Development Env?

Best Rails Development Env?

Joey B.
user 10255762
Murfreesboro, TN
Post #: 4
So after having a few meetups discussing things like emacs and the CLI, I was wondering if it would be prudent to start a discussion on what everyone uses on their development systems. I am currently running OSX and previously used netbeans, but lately have tried to get emacs running after Daniel's cool presentation. I am a VI guy personally and tried to get it set up somewhat, but with no luck on either front.

I'm now trying to set up an Ubuntu VM and found a ppa called ubuntu-on-rails which gives access to lots of cool apps. Anyone got any other tips for setting up Ubuntu for Rails dev? I haven't really used Linux much for the last 6 or 7 years, and that was Slackware (yes, I loved it, but ubuntu is just too stinkin easy to ignore). Any tips on getting ruby 1.9 and 1.8 to co-exist (or pitfalls of trying)?

What say ye?
Josh C.
joshcrews
Group Organizer
Nashville, TN
Post #: 8
The only guy I know with Ubuntu and Rails is Daniel.
Daniel N.
user 8479725
Nashville, TN
Post #: 11
I'm now trying to set up an Ubuntu VM and found a ppa called ubuntu-on-rails which gives access to lots of cool apps. Anyone got any other tips for setting up Ubuntu for Rails dev? I haven't really used Linux much for the last 6 or 7 years, and that was Slackware (yes, I loved it, but ubuntu is just too stinkin easy to ignore). Any tips on getting ruby 1.9 and 1.8 to co-exist (or pitfalls of trying)?

Hi Joey,

First, after seeing BrianD's presentation about Screen, I've switched over to using Emacs within a terminal (set to black with white and colorized text). And if you are using Ubuntu 9.10, then there is an enhanced screen called Byobu, so my .bash_aliases file includes the following:
alias emacs='emacs -nw'
alias screen='byobu'

Second, I'm using the Emacs Starter Kit (http://github.com/tec...­. Within that, here are my personal settings: http://github.com/Blu...­. I don't use any special Rails plugins, just Ruby and Haml colorized formatting. The Rails plugins mainly help navigate between source files and with some nice functionality for running specs/tests, but I find ido to be fast enough (and I want familiarity with my project hierarchy), and I am happy with my testing workflow (Screen with four screens, irssi, autotest, emacs, bash). But there are several Rails options to investigate if you want some of the other enhancements.

Third, to run multiple versions, check out the Ruby Version Manager (rvm) (http://rvm.beginrescu...­. It is a gem, so easy to install. It enables command line switching between Ruby versions (see below). The one caveat is that at least on Ubuntu 9.10 on my particular computer, all patch levels I've found of Ruby 1.8.6 either fail to install or have a major problem with floats. So I simply use ruby 1.8.7 from the Ubuntu repositories and use RVM for 1.9.1:
$ rvm 1.9.1
$ ruby -v
ruby 1.9.1p376 (2009-12-07 revision 26041) [i686-linux]
$ rvm system
$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [i486-linux]

If you want to talk anything over, feel free to contact me. Message me via Meetup and we can Skype.

Also, since Josh mentioned I'm the only one he knows using Ubuntu: BrianD uses Ubuntu with VIM.

Best,

Daniel
Joey B.
user 10255762
Murfreesboro, TN
Post #: 5
OK, so I may wind up messaging you to ask a few "guy is an idiot and can't even find his way to the meetups" type questions, but I think I've gotten most of your suggestions implemented. I try to exhaust myself mentally (that doesn't take much effort) before pestering others, but I had to post the original entry because there are just sooo many ideas out there. The Emacs Starter Kit looks pretty cool, but I am having a terrible time with getting used to emacs key bindings. I may look into making it work like Vim and see if it is better for me then. I really don't care about the Vim/Emacs argument, it's just that these vim command mode keys have burned into my brain for 15 years now, and I don't know that they will ever get out... :)

Have you ever heard of Ubuntu on Rails? Seems like a neat idea, and I got most of it installed I think. The rvm tip was priceless. Thanks!

Wish me luck on the Emacs Starter Kit. I may need it.