The Honey Creek hike is over rugged lands and includes several creek crossings, climbing over boulders, and hiking steep terrain. The rewards are great views, waterfalls, beautiful land, and caves. Bring water, snacks, rain gear. DO NOT FORGET YOUR RAIN GEAR.
It is suggested that you wear waterproof boots with ankle support (boots are required, no shoes). Do not attempt this hike if you have not completed at least a six mile strenuous hike before. Also, this is a very wet hike. Do not attempt if you can't handle slick rocks and many wet crossings.
Meet at Home Depot Lebanon at 7:00 AM SHARP and carpool from there. Please offer your driver gas money. It's easy to get lost heading to this hike so please don't offer to drive if you're directionally challenged.
http://www.state.tn.us/environment/na/natareas/honeycreek Optional dinner afterward at location to be determined.
Directions to Honey Creek
* Take I-40 East to Exit 300 - Monterey.
* Turn Left at the end of the exit ramp.
* At the second traffic light (just past the old Imperial Hotel), turn Right onto TN 62.
* Drive 16 miles until TN 62 intersects US 127 at Clarkrange. There will be a traffic light with an Exxon on your left and a Citgo on the opposite, diagonal corner. ***These are about the best bathroom stops until Honey Creek. ***
* Turn Left onto US 127 headed north towards Jamestown.
* At 15.1 miles from the TN 62 and US 127 intersection, turn Right onto East 296 towards Allardt. Start watching for this turn when you pass the Highland Manor Winery on your right and the Jordan Motel on your left. There is a Tru-Test gasoline station just past the turn. Stay on 296. You will come to a 4 way stop in Allardt (there will be a gas station on one corner, and a very small shopping center on the other corner). Continue straight onto East 52.
* At 8.3 miles, turn Left at a sign for "Burnt Mill Bridge" onto Mt. Helen Road.
* At 5.2 miles turn Left at another "Burnt Mill Bridge" sign onto Old Mt. Helen Rd. Follow this road until it forks (Right is "paved", Left is crushed limestone gravel road)
* At this fork there is yet another "Burnt Mill Bridge" sign pointing left to the gravel road. Keep following the signs to Burnt Mill Bridge. * Follow this road until it forks, you see a sign directing you to turn Left for Honey Creek.
* Park at the first parking area on your left near the large trailhead sign. Do not go to the overlook parking area.
Tips for successfully finding Honey Creek:
1) Do not speed on TN 62. In Monterey, the speed limit is 30 mph!!
2) When in doubt, follow the signs to Burnt Mill Bridge until you see the Honey Creek sign.
3) Ride with someone who's been there before!!!
CARPOOL LOCATION: Home Depot Lebanon
CARPOOL MEETUP TIME: 7:00 AM SHARP!
DRIVE TIME: 3 hours
HIKE TIME: 3-4 hours
LEADERS: Lisa Presley, Steve Nunley and Kerry Pettross
Lisa Presley email: [masked] Mobile:[masked]
NO DOGS OR CHILDREN