Read this entire description before RSVPing.
7:00 a.m. Central Time Meeting Place: Kroger Hermitage (Old Hickory Blvd. near I-40)
9:15 a.m. Central Time Meeting Place: Burnett's Grocery, 1900 Michigan Ave, Allardt, TN 38504
Hike Distance: 5.5 miles
Estimated Hike Time: 4 hours
Difficulty: Moderately Strenuous
Hike Leader: Jim Meeks
No dogs please, due to the climbing and ladders involved
This challenging hike is over rugged lands and includes several creek crossings, climbing over boulders, and hiking steep terrain. The rewards are great views, waterfalls, beautiful land, and caves. Bring water, snacks, appropriate hiking attire, and your camera.
Do not attempt this hike if you have not completed at least a six mile strenuous hike before. Also, this is a very wet hike. Do not attempt if you can't handle slick rocks and many wet crossings.
Carpool 1: Meet at Kroger Hermitage at 7:00 AM and carpool from there.
Carpool 2: Meet at Burnett's Grocery in Allardt at 9:15 AM and carpool from there
Optional: Camp at Big South Fork's Bandy Loop Campground Saturday night and meet everyone at Burnett's for the hike. You must make your own campsite reservations here: http://1.usa.gov/1oiPJI5
Please offer your driver gas money. It's easy to get lost heading to this hike so please don't offer to drive if you're directionally challenged.
Allardt, TN 38504
Optional, 1.5 mile hike at Colditz Cove State Natural Area afterward.
Directions to Honey Creek
* Take I-40 East to Exit 300 - Monterey.
* Turn Left at the end of the exit ramp.
* At the second traffic light (just past the old Imperial Hotel), turn Right onto TN 62.
* Drive 16 miles until TN 62 intersects US 127 at Clarkrange. There will be a traffic light with an Exxon on your left and a Citgo on the opposite, diagonal corner.
***These are about the best bathroom stops until Honey Creek. ***
* Turn Left onto US 127 headed north towards Jamestown. Set your odometer to zero.
* At 15.1 miles from the TN 62 and US 127 intersection, turn Right onto East 296 towards Allardt. Start watching for this turn when you pass the Highland Manor Winery on your right and the Jordan Motel on your left. There is a Tru-Test gasoline station just past the turn. Reset your odometer to "0".
* Stay on 296. You will come to a 4 way stop in Allardt (there will be a gas station on one corner, and a very small shopping center on the other corner).
* Stop here at Burnett's Grocery.
* Continue straight onto East 52. Start watching your odometer.
* At 5.6 miles, turn Left at a sign for "Burnt Mill Bridge" onto Mt. Helen Road. Reset your odometer to "0".
* At 5.2 miles turn Left at another "Burnt Mill Bridge" sign onto Old Mt. Helen Rd. (I think this is the turn where the sign was fallen to the ground. Be careful not to miss this turn.) Follow this road until it forks (Right is "paved", Left is crushed limestone gravel road)
* At this fork there is yet another "Burnt Mill Bridge" sign pointing left to the gravel road. Keep following the signs to Burnt Mill Bridge.
* Follow this road until it forks, you see a sign directing you to turn Left for Honey Creek.
* Park at the first parking area on your left near the large trailhead sign. Do not go to the overlook parking area.
Tips for successfully finding Honey Creek:
1) Do not speed on TN 62. In Monterey, the speed limit is 30 mph!!
2) When in doubt, follow the signs to Burnt Mill Bridge until you see the Honey Creek sign.
3) If the roads off of East 52 go from bad to worse, chances are you are on the right track !!