Nashville Hiking Meetup Message Board › Orienteering - Traditional Map and Compass

Orienteering - Traditional Map and Compass

A former member
Post #: 1
Do any of you do the traditional map and compass orienteering? By traditional I mean following a course laid out on a USGS topgraphic quad map using a hand-held compass (no GPS or tech devices). I haven't done orienteering for years now (except for the environmental field work where we occasionally used the map and compass to figure out how to get to where we wanted to be), but would like to do some if I could find others who are interested.

Barbara
Baxter TN
Bill D.
user 12902385
Mount Juliet, TN
Post #: 17
Sounds like a great ideal. I'll drink to that. Could someone hold a meetup and have a class on map and compass orientation.
Kelly S.
kelstew
Group Organizer
Nashville, TN
Post #: 268
I've seen these types of classes posted in the past. Let me do some checking around.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks, Kelly. i did a search for orienteering on Nashville Meetup and nothing came up, but there might be people out there in the various outdoor and hiking groups that would be interested in it.
Kelly S.
kelstew
Group Organizer
Nashville, TN
Post #: 269
I think it would be well received. Through my contacts I've found two possible instructors. Will keep everyone posted.

The way I've seen these classes structured are in two sessions: one classroom lecture and one separate session out in the field to use the skills you've learned.
Joe B.
user 12357575
Nashville, TN
Post #: 2
It's funny you ask about oreinteering, I've been trying to teach myself that recently. I've found some good links online to help you learn. I've picked up a compass from amazon and need to order a new map of LBL.(My first one is the wrong scale for me)
Here are a couple of the links I've found....
Go here to make affordable custom maps
Go hear to learn about plotting coordinates.
How to use a compass
I hope this will get your orienteering juices goin'.
Kelly S.
kelstew
Group Organizer
Nashville, TN
Post #: 270
Warner Parks has a class in October (http://www.nashville....­) but it's more "oriented" toward kids.

Ideally I'm going to find an instructor and we'll create our own class. Stay tuned.
A former member
Post #: 19
Smokey Mountain Field School has a couple of orienteering classes plus other outdoor education classes. Link: Smokey Mountain Field School

Margaret
MargaretD
Nashville, TN
Post #: 1
The Boy Scouts still teach traditional map and compass orienteering. Perhaps the Middle Tennessee Council could recommend a Scoutmaster who would be willing to teach a class.
A former member
Post #: 20
I would certainly be interest in orienteering skills. Haven't done that in 50 years!