Nashville Hiking Meetup Message Board › Grand Gap Loop in Big South Fork from John Litton/General Slaven loop question

Grand Gap Loop in Big South Fork from John Litton/General Slaven loop question

Ira
irasmith
Nashville, TN
Post #: 66
I've got a question for those who have done the Grand Gap Loop in Big South Fork using the portion of the John Litton/General Slaven loop and coming into Grand Gap from that direction.

I've got the Hiking The Big South Fork book and it notes that when approaching Grand Gap Loop from this direction, at about mile 4.7 you cross a bridge over a stream and that there is a campsite nearby. Is this stream a wet weather one or is it one that would have water flowing from it most of the year?

I am asking because I know that on the Grand Gap Loop itself there is no water source so if you backpack and camp out on the loop you have to pack your water. What I was thinking about was a backpack camping trip where I would enter the loop from this direction and after doing the loop on my way back out camp at this campsite. The fact that a stream is nearby would be great so I wouldn't have to pack as much water in.
A former member
Post #: 1
It's been a while since I hiked the loop, but it is a wet stream. I don't remember how close it is to the campsite.
Ira
irasmith
Nashville, TN
Post #: 67
Harvey,

Appreciate your reply and input. No problem at all as I was just curious and thinking ahead for possible future hike and camp trip that I could do. Nothing certain yet as to when I would do this one and for me no problem if the stream isn't right at campsite as I don't mind walking a bit. Worst case I either tote more water than would otherwise the first time and on the way up see what the stream looks like:)