addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Nashville Hiking Meetup Message Board › hikes within an hour's drive

hikes within an hour's drive

Stephanie
fern
Nashville, TN
Post #: 4
I would love to hear other people's summaries of all available hikes NOT within metro.

Today I went to the Natchez Trace Pkwy at Leiper's Fork and hike from the upper parking lot at the Garrison Creek stop to the stop called Old Trace. Had never been there as a hiking destination before, only a wading destination. It was about a 45-minute drive from Oak Hill in Nashville. It looked like the site offered about 2 hours' hiking, though I only hiked part of the loop.

I hiked the part that starts behind the restrooms at the Garrison Creek stop. From there, a short access trail takes you up to the east branch of the loop, which is the quiet branch. The access trail is annoyingly overgrown; you will want your machete. The overgrown part is only a few yards long. Then there's a steep climb to an "Overlook" about 1/4 mile from the parking lot. What used to be an overlook is now grown up with poplars, walnut trees, sumac, sassafras, and oak.

Past the nonoverlook, you get up to the loop. This is a wide, comfortable walking and horseback riding trail. There is no more climbing. It is a tame, tame trail through open beech woods. Pleasant. You can take the fork to the Old Trace parking lot, 1 mile away; or hike 1 mile the other way to Garrison Creek itself.

It was a very tame hike, pleasant -- but lacking challenging climbs or memorable views. My dog thought the horseback riders were memorable.
Floyd
fbdennis
La Vergne, TN
Post #: 70
There's a great book you should pick up - "60 Hikes In 60 Miles" - different versions available for multiple cities, including Nashville. I know REI has it, probably some other hiking outfitter shops & bookstores in the area as well.