Picnic for the Planet and Nature Lovers' Annual Picnic
PICNIC CHANGED TO SUNDAY DUE TO RAIN FORECAST FOR SATURDAY
First of all I want to thank all of you, especially Scott, Lori and Nicole, for all the support you have given for nature lovers' events. Every year we celebrate nature and our group with a picnic and this year I decided to combine it with earth day celebrations. The Nature Conservancy is organizing "Picnic for the Planet" all over the world and they offered to sponsor our group as well.
Please join Nature Lovers for this picnic. We will meet at Picnic Area 6 along Beach Drive in Rock Creek Park just north of Military Road. We will start at 1.30 pm and picnick until 3.30pm. We will provide snacks and drinks (thanks to Nature Conservancy). Please bring a light lunch like a sandwich or wrap.
Please read this important message from Nature Conservancy about the event:
Picnic for the Planet is a celebration of the planet we live on, the food it provides and the people we share it with. In short, the planet does a lot for us, we should take it out for lunch. On and around Earth Day 2011 (April 22) people all around the world, including you and the members of your Meetup Group, will be stepping outside and heading to their favorite outdoor spot to enjoy good food in the company of great people.
Here are 5 easy actions you can do to make sure your plate is more planet friendly at your Meetup Group's Picnic for the Planet!
- Eat Smart: Learn what's in your food, where it came from and who it impacts.
- Eat Local: Where possible, buy food that is in season from local food producers.
- Eat Sustainably: Eat sustainable seafood - one of the only things that we eat that we still get from the wild.
- Eat Green: Eat more fruits and vegetables - it's good for your health and the planet's.
- Eat Out: Join your Meetup Group and people all over the world for the Picnic for the Planet. Check your Meetup Group's calendar for details.
The folks at The Nature Conservancy want to know how your picnic goes and hope that you'll share tweets, photos, videos and stories with the world. To do so, just use the hashtag #picnic11 on Twitter, Facebook, Flickr™or YouTube. Of course, feel free to share them with us by emailing [masked].