addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

nature lovers meetup Message Board › Today's poem - 6/7/2012

Today's poem - 6/7/2012

Sankar
user 3046110
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 1,057
Note: If you receive this by email, you need to change your account settings. See below to find out how.

Ode to Bicycles

Pablo Neruda

I was walking
down
a sizzling road:
the sun popped like
a field of blazing maize,
the
earth
was hot,
an infinite circle
with an empty
blue sky overhead.

A few bicycles
passed
me by,
the only
insects
in
that dry
moment of summer,
silent,
swift,
translucent;
they
barely stirred
the air.

Workers and girls
were riding to their
factories,
giving
their eyes
to summer,
their heads to the sky,
sitting on the
hard
beetle backs
of the whirling
bicycles
that whirred
as they rode by
bridges, rosebushes, brambles
and midday.

I thought about evening when
the boys
wash up,
sing, eat, raise
a cup
of wine
in honor
of love
and life,
and waiting
at the door,
the bicycle,
stilled,
because
only moving
does it have a soul,
and fallen there
it isn't
a translucent insect
humming
through summer
but
a cold
skeleton
that will return to
life
only
when it's needed,
when it's light,
that is,
with
the
resurrection
of each day.

Today's poem is thanks to Bicycling Poetry at GreenBase

IF YOU RECEIVED THIS BY EMAIL, YOU ARE PROBABLY SUBSCRIBED TO THE MESSAGE BOARD TO RECEIVE POSTINGS BY EMAIL. I MERELY POST THESE ON THE MESSAGE BOARD AND THEY ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE EMAILED TO ALL. [To change settings, click "Account" at the top, then "membership and communication" on the left, then "edit communication settings" under nature lovers meetup].

You can see previous poems by going to "Message Board." All members are welcome to post a poem under "Today's poem", on the message board. The poem is usually posted between 10pm the previous night and 9 am on the day of the poem. It could be your own or someone else's. It should be something to do with nature, and ideally it should have something to do with the particular day.