nature lovers meetup Message Board › Solar Homes Tour

Solar Homes Tour

Manuel
Manuel
Washington, DC
Post #: 29
This is kind of late, but I'll post it in case someone is interested and hasn't heard about it.

The Solar Homes Tour is basically several homeowners in the Washington, DC metropolitan area who use a significant amount of solar energy in their homes and who allow strangers to peer around inside their homes one or two days on October 6 and 7 from 11-5. If you like environmentally friendly ideas like solar energy, here it is. Information is at www.solartour.org You have to either print out a free 41 page .pdf booklet on the website or pay $5 for the booklet at one of the locations listed on the website. That's your ticket.

If you want to combine it with some bicycling, Potomac Pedalers has two rides to tour some of these homes. One starts Saturday October 6 from 37th St NW and Tilden at 10:45 AM and the other is October 7 from Greenbelt metro Station also starting at 10:45 AM. (See Oct 07 Rides at www.bikepptc.org ). So if you want to combine some environmentally friendly transportation with tours of a few environmentally friendly homes, it's a nice way to spend an afternoon.

The bicycling tours will only allow you to see a few of the homes, but I think even with a car it would be fairly difficult to see every home that will be open. I plan to go on the Sunday Oct 7 bike ride from Greenbelt Metro station. If anyone else plans to go on the Bike tour of Solar Homes that day, let me know. I'll look for you.