Northeast Ohio Liberals & Progressives Message Board › Same-sex marriage in NY

Same-sex marriage in NY

A former member
Post #: 548
The final key Republican just reversed his position, and voted with his conscience to legalize same-sex marriage. Signed into law in NY yesterday by Governor Cuomo:

http://www.nytimes.co...­

As you may have been following, two Republican NY senators reversed their votes from prior years, and declared support for the bill. But it could only pass if two more Republicans joined them: the NY senate has a Republican majority. (The bill had already passed the Assembly this year.) Recently, passage hinged on the votes of the last two Republicans who had not yet declared how they would vote. Both of them had campaigned on a platform of preventing gay marriage, but at least they showed some courage now:

Roy McDonald:

"You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing. You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing. I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this."

Mark J. Grisanti:

"I apologize for those who feel offended... I cannot deny a person, a human being, a taxpayer, a worker, the people of my district and across this state, the State of New York, and those people who make this the great state that it is the same rights that I have with my wife."

The bill passed 33-20. The other two Republican supporters were Stephen M. Saland and James S. Alesi (who broke the party line first). The Republican majority also apparently could have prevented the bill from being voted on at all, but decided to let it proceed. Majority leader Dean G. Skelos voted against the bill, but said "The days of just bottling up things, and using these as excuses not to have votes--as far as I'm concerned as leader, it's over with."

Opponents of the bill included the Catholic church and one single Democrat, Ruben Diaz Sr., who said, "God, not Albany, has settled the definition of marriage, a long time ago."