What better way to train for 14'ers by hiking a 14'er. San Luis is rated as one of the easier ones. 13 Miles round trip 3600 elevation gain. We will take the standard route from Stewart Creek.
Plan: Drive up to the trailhead Saturday and camp out. Get an early start Sunday up the peak then head back to NM. People can choose to stay another night.
Since the hike is CLASS 1 dogs will be allowed.
Driving directions from the south: Take Highway 285 North through Alamosa and Monte VistA. Continue to Colorado 114 turn left on 15-GG (aka fr 764)
- The road briefly goes around the lake where there is a small junction. Stay left on the main road.
- From the start of the 15-GG road, drive 15.7 miles to an intersection where there are signs.
- Follow the sign for the Stewart Creek trailhead by continuing straight on the 794 road.
- Drive 4.3 miles to the trailhead.
- Be alert for the signed trailhead. Take a sharp right down into the small parking area.