add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
A former member
Post #: 1
Hello all. I am thinking about hiking the Manzano Crest trail as a 2 day affair, and have heard that the trail is extremely difficult to follow. I would like to start on the south end, possibly at the Pine Shadow trailhead, and head north

I am wondering if anyone has GPS tracks for the trail, or if someone with experience with the Manzanos would like to join in. I am hoping to do this hike within the next 2 weeks, and mid-week or weekends works either way.
Alan S.
user 11386957
Santa Fe, NM
Post #: 1
I have hiked between Bosque Peak and Capilla Peak and agree that the trail is very difficult to stay on. I hiked 12 miles to do the 8 miles between the two on my way out to Capilla. The way back to the 4th of July campground was easier. I kept losing the trail. In the area near Capilla the trail is extremely faint. There was one point ON THE TRAIL where I had to remove my pack and crawl on my belly under the thick oak and then pull my pack through separately with a rope. Incredibly overgrown in places. I was unable to find my fps track...sorry. I would like to do more of that trail, but would want to wait until later in the season. I went in the late fall and there was no water up high at all so take plenty to stay on that trail.
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks for the info. I just picked up the free Manzano Mountain Trails map from the Forest Service which seems pretty good. In conjunction with the map of the Wilderness hopefully I'll stay on trail. And definitely was planning on bringing lots of water!