A former member
Post #: 24
There are so many people that want to go to this event; couldn't you book different dates? Tomika doing one event, Michelle doing another and the person that suggested it another? then lots of people will have a chance to go. I looked on the website 3 days after opening of the event to find that it was full. It seems like we could streatch it out a little.

Barb

A former member
Post #: 560
Barb,

The concept of the events is to dine together as a group. If we all book seperate Meetups, then what's really the point. Since this is a larger group (over 400 members) there is always the fear that you will not be able to attend due to size constraints of the restaurants but stuff happens. Sometimes you have to be proactive to get what you want.

I do agree that the person who suggested the restaurant should be included as well as the organizers, but since I enjoy dining with many of the members collectively, I do not want to have to choose who's event I will attend.

Just my two cents...
A former member
Post #: 25
Well, Im just trying to make the best of a bad situation; It seems like the meetup application is not working properly; due to the tweeks that they have been doing to it. Lynn pollange & myself are not getting a notification from the meetup application that it's been open up to sign up!!! I know that that is an option on your membership page and I have verified that all of them are on. Lynn & I sat here all day yesturday, trying to find a telephone number to Meetup to tell them of this glich!!! NADA nowhere is there a telephone number to call. Everytime that I try and send something to them it now goes to TOMIKA I know enough about computers to know that this is not her fault. But, the only recorse that I have is to let her know, there is a problem. It looks like from my point a view; that it never went out for people to sign up!!!

Thanks for listening.....
Thomika
user 3265053
Kenner, LA
Post #: 162
I don't think it's a bad situation. I think it is what it is. I didn't send out a notification that the meetup was open for sign up. So no one got a notification for that. I would assume that people who wanted to go to Mondo made a note of when the sign ups opened and on Monday started RSVPing. As far as I can tell there is no glitch with the meetup site as I did not send out notifications that Mondo was open for sign ups. I didn't feel it necessary as it's been on the calendar since late January/early February.
A former member
Post #: 26
I don't think it's a bad situation. I think it is what it is. I didn't send out a notification that the meetup was open for sign up. So no one got a notification for that. I would assume that people who wanted to go to Mondo made a note of when the sign ups opened and on Monday started RSVPing. As far as I can tell there is no glitch with the meetup site as I did not send out notifications that Mondo was open for sign ups. I didn't feel it necessary as it's been on the calendar since late January/early February.

When you open it up for scheduling; the notifications are sent out automatically by meetup; or thats the way I understood it. So you opened it up, and everybody just jumped on it. that dosn't seem fair, how do we know that you opened it up? Im too old to keep up with that type of calendar, or is that the point? to keep the responses low.

Thomika
user 3265053
Kenner, LA
Post #: 163
It appears that you have an expectation of meetup's notification capabilities that does not exist. As least as far as I am aware. Notifications are sent out when I put on an event on the calendar. And that's only if I choose to send an email announcing the event. There is an option to not send an announcement and still put the event on the calendar. I scheduled Mondo the same time and in the same manner I scheduled Patois. I'm not aware of any notifications going out when Patois opened for RSVPs. At the very least, everyone got an email when I initially put both events on the calendar.

There was a note on the RSVP button that stated the meetup was not open for RSVPs and gave the date that it would open. And not everyone "just jumped on it." The meetup didn't fill up the first day it was opened. However, there were some people who did make the first signups that I know had been interested in it since I put it on the calendar. As I said earlier, I would assume they made a note of when the signups became open and RSVP'd at the appropriate time.

It doesn't make sense that I would want to keep the responses low. My intention is to set an appropriate cap on the number of attendees for the size of the restaurant and in accordance with the respective reservation policy of each restaurant. I have absolutely no intention in making this some sort of conspiracy where certain people are purposefully excluded. I also have no intention of trying to manipulate the responses to the meetups. I don't gain anything from doing that. This group has 400+ members. People who are interested in the events will make note of the information provided and respond accordingly.

In a perfect world, everyone who is interested would be able to attend every meetup. Also in a perfect world, people would show up when they said they would. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. I have to deal with the frustration of no-shows and I have to place a cap (sometimes lower than I and a lot people would like) on attendees so that the event is manageable and comfortable for the venue and everyone attending and also to keep my own sanity.

If you want to guarantee yourself a spot, there are a couple options. You can suggest an idea for a meetup and if your idea is scheduled, you will have first preference. You can also host or organize a meetup. Several members have done this and I think it has been positive. I am always open to that and would be more than happy to assist anyone interested.
Angelle
AngelleA
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 5
Barb,
When the event was initially posted back in late Jan/early Feb, a notification was sent out. The date that it would be open for RSVPs was clearly outlined under the RSVP button. So, for over a month members could view the date it would open and make plans accordingly. I think it's a very fair way to schedule events. I'm waitlisted too, though, as it opened on a weekday at noon, and I can't access Meetup from my work computers! MeetUp does send out a notification when a spot opens up, and then you'll have to jump to fill it! That's just the way it goes with a group this size and a restaurant that restricts to 10.

That said, maybe for those events that have many waitlisters, we could do a second reservation on the same day? Table one and table two? Just a thought. This may prove problematic, though, given the average number of no-shows despite RSVPing....
Angelle
AngelleA
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 6
I just saw Thomika's response that posted just before mine. Just wanted to add that I think you are doing a great job organizing this group and we appreciate all you do!!! Thanks!
Thomika
user 3265053
Kenner, LA
Post #: 164
Thank you Angelle. I really do appreciate that.

I found the link to send questions, concerns, and complaints about the meetup site.

http://www.meetup.com...­