align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

New York Artificial Intelligence Forum Message Board › The Future is in Jeopardy!

The Future is in Jeopardy!

Rob
user 6264915
Group Organizer
New York, NY
IBM's Watson plays Jeopardy tonight. Parsing methods don't get me that excited, but it might be interesting anyway. At least it won't have a mania for paperclips if it escapes.

7 PM Tonight: See Watson Play Jeopardy. On whatever station carries Jeopardy!.

9 PM Wednesday: See a NOVA special on Watson. 

If there's interest, I can tape both and we can have a meetup to discuss. I will be taking the 'cute machine, but its not thinking in any important way' position.
A former member
Post #: 14
Watson isn't necessarily "dwarfing" human intelligence. The AI simply had great reaction time and the humans often pressed the button prematurely instead of waiting until the question was finished.

I would rather have a human lawyer, doctor, politician etc any day of the week. We're even mapping the "enteric brain" in our guts which have a huge amount of neuropeptides and is believed to access the deep subconscious and the "collective consciousness" of earth's humans. I firmly believe that human brains can act in concert and as a collective. AI's may eventually have that capability but let's not sell ourselves short because of this glorified encyclopedia named Watson.

The enteric nervous system has been described as a "second brain". There are several reasons for this. The enteric nervous system can operate autonomously. It normally communicates with the central nervous system (CNS) through the parasympathetic (e.g., via the vagus nerve) and sympathetic (e.g., via the prevertebral ganglia) nervous systems. However, vertebrate studies show that when the vagus nerve is severed, the enteric nervous system continues to function.

In vertebrates the enteric nervous system includes efferent neurons, afferent neurons, and interneurons, all of which make the enteric nervous system capable of carrying reflexes and acting as an integrating center in the absence of CNS input. There are more nerve cells in the enteric nervous system than in the entire spinal cord. The sensory neurons report on mechanical and chemical conditions. Through intestinal muscles, the motor neurons control peristalsis and churning of intestinal contents. Other neurons control the secretion of enzymes. The enteric nervous system also makes use of more than 30 neurotransmitters, most of which are identical to the ones found in CNS, such as acetylcholine, dopamine, and serotonin. More than 90% of the body's serotonin lies in the gut; as well as about 50% of the body's dopamine, which is currently being studied to further our understanding of its utility in the brain.

The enteric nervous system has the capacity to alter its response depending on such factors as bulk and nutrient composition. In addition, ENS contains support cells which are similar to astroglia of the brain and a diffusion barrier around the capillaries surrounding ganglia which is similar to the blood-brain barrier of cerebral blood vessels.

http://en.wikipedia.o...­