Alyson
user 13179439
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Hi- I am looking to adopt a boston terrier- please contact me if you have any leads!
Bubba's D.
user 3217594
Group Organizer
Forest Hills, NY
Post #: 47
Hi Alyson -

1) Probably the best starting point to adopt our area would be the Northeast Boston Terrier Rescue, who I think put most if not all their adoptables on PetFinder.com - here's the links to their PetFinder list as well as their main site:

www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelterid=NY644

bostonrescue.blogspot.com/­

2) Also never hurts to give our winter meetup hosts Animal Haven a look - BT check-ins are rare occurrence there, but have popped up in the past:

www.animalhavenshelter.org­

3) Similarly, check with the ASPCA - also rare, but do show up occasionally.

Here's the list for dogs locally in NYC.....

www.aspca.org/aspca-nyc/adoptable-dogs­

....and other shelters elsewhere in the country - you can narrow the breed down to BTs, plug in any ZIP code, and see availables up to 100 miles away:

www.aspca.org/adoption/dogs.aspx­

Keep in mind it's unusual (though not impossible) to find pure or near-purebred BTs via general rescue organizations and shelters - often, many of the dogs listed usually only have a passing resemblance based solely on BT-styled coat markings, or are BT mixes, usually with Chihuahuas and/or pit bulls....those pits sure get around!

(SIDE NOTE: If you're open to going with a mix with one of those breeds, in my experience, the bully breeds are actually the much friendlier and social of the the two. I grew up with them, and they're AWESOME with kids and families, and totally undeserving of the terrible press they've gotten over the years from a handful of irresponsible owners - in fact, we had a bulldog/BT mix at our last meetup and he was tons of fun. I've experienced far more general nastiness and nips from Chihuahuas, and in fact, people are bitten by them far more often than bullies....it's just that the bullies cause more damage - and sadly fatalities - which of course gets more statistical reporting by hospitals, and resulting sensationalized bad press.)

I'm sure there are other organizations out there - in fact, some sites may have links to other less well known organizations that might have the perfect dog for you, so be sure to look when you visit them.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Alyson
user 13179439
New York, NY
Post #: 2
thanks so much!
Beach S.
user 13483971
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Hi Alyson,

I don't know if you're still looking for a rescue BT, but I just started a new thread about a 9-month old male BT with some special needs but a big heart. If you're still interested in adopting, take a look (the thread title is, "Stewie")!

Thanks!

Beach