NEW YORK CULTURE CLUB Message Board › NMAI - Pacifika: NY Hawaiian Film Festival

NMAI - Pacifika: NY Hawaiian Film Festival

A former member
Post #: 6
FYI - some museum folks may be interested in checking out Pacifika, the NY Hawaiian Film Festival at the Museum of the American Indian
Cheers,

Trish

Hawaii Cultural Foundation

NMAI Pacifika Showcase 2007

FILM SCHEDULE

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Auditorium

Naming Number Two
(2005, 96 min.) Aotearoa (NZ). Toa Fraser. Fiction.
Nanna Maria (portrayed by film great Ruby Dee) is the matriarch of a family of Fijians living in New Zealand. Led by a dream, she demands that her grandchildren organize a feast at which she will name her successor. The grandchildren reluctantly turn up, but tensions -- personal and cultural -- arise, and the preparations unravel into chaos. Naming Number Two is a big-hearted, exuberant story about what it takes to bring Nanna's family together again. Winner of the Audience Award for World Cinema at the Sundance Film Festival. Invited: Ruby Dee.

Sat., May 12, 2007 1 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.

Diker Pavilion, NMAI George Gustav Heye Center

Welcome: Elizabeth Weatherford, National
Museum of the American Indian

Introduction: Janu Cassidy, founding director of
Pacifika: New York Hawaiian Film Festival

1 p.m. - 2 p.m.

Rolling Down like Pele (2004, 4 min.)
Hawai`i (U.S.) Laura Margulies.
A mixedmedia animation visualizing hula and Hawaiian musical traditions.

Ka Haka Rongo/To Listen (2005, 2 min.)
Hawai`i (U.S.) Sergio M. Rapu(Rapanui).
A filmmaker explores his identity through reflections on the Rapanui homeland and his ancestors on Easter Island.

Kamea (2004, 25 min.)
Hawai`i (U.S.) JenniferAkana-Sturia. Fiction.
A coming-of-age story about a young Hawaiian surfer girl who researches the Hawaiian surf legend Duke Kahanamoku to impress a boy, but finds her own connection to "the Duke" as well as a sense of pride.

Gravity (2004, 8 min.)
Aotearoa (NZ). Iosefa Enari.
Producers: Nicola Seuren, Iosefa Enari. Fiction.
Laki, a Samoan street kid living in Aotearoa (New Zealand), is visited one night by ancestral ghosts. A film that interweaves gritty urban life and the dreamscape of traditional Polynesian ceremony and spiritual awakening.

Tama Tu (2005, 17 min.)
Aotearoa (NZ). Taika Waititi (Maori). Fiction.
Six Maori soldiers, waiting for night to fall in a war-torn Italian home, summon
the spirit of Maori storytelling to unite their spirits.
Winner of the Panorama Special Jury Prize at the Berlin International Film Festival.

2:10 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Matta Saina -Ta As Hurao/The Return of the Elder Hurao (2006, 1 min.)
Hawai`i (U.S.) AlexMunoz (Chamorro).
An experimental film brings to life the spirit of Hurao, one of the first chiefs to
lead his Chamorro people against the Spanish.

Polynesian Power: Islanders in Pro Football (2005, 57 min.)
Hawai`i (U.S.) Jeremy Spear/Robert Pennington.
Narrator: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.
A chronicle of the ascent of Polynesians in American Football and the cultural history that defines this journey, profiling two Samoan athletes, Pisa Tinoisamoa and Isaac Sopoaga - one from the islands and one from the ?hood. Polynesian Power is being screened courtesy of ESPN Original Entertainment. Discussion follows with filmmaker Jeremy Spear.

3:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.

Hawaikii (2006, 11 min.)
Aotearoa (NZ). Mike Jonathan (Maori). Fiction.
A Maori girl makes a bumpy transition to school and turns to her father for help.

Mauna Kea - Temple Under Siege (2006, 57 min.)
Hawai`i (U.S.) Puhipau (Native Hawaiian) and Joan Lander.
This film explores the legends and beliefs that make the volcanic mountain Mauna Kea a vital part of Native Hawaiian cultural and political survival. Should the mountain's summit be used for astronomical observatories or preserved as a cultural landscape sacred to the Hawaiian people?

ADDITIONAL PROGRAMS
May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. At the NMAI in New York, join us April 30 - May 18 for daily screenings of works from Hawai`i and the Pacific and on Sat., May 19, and Sun., May 20, for Aloha Days: Children's Festival, with performances, dance, games, and films. For information visit www.nativenetworks.si.edu.

On Sat., May 12, and Sun., May 13, NMAI on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. will present?Hawaiian Showcase,? a celebration of Hawaiian culture through art, history, language and dance.

For information go to Museum of the American Indian

Pacifika Showcase is made possible with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a State Agency, and from New York City?s Department of Cultural Affairs. Additional support has been provided by the Consulate General of New Zealand and Cyan Pictures.