|Sent on:||Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:07 PM|
I am just too busy to make this as active as I would like and my schedule makes impromptu film meetups my best bet - so, rather than shut the group down - I am opening it up to all members to host your own film events on this site. If you scroll down - you'll read the new About Page which explains it all.
Looking forward to watching the films on YOUR 'Must See" List!
ABOUT NJ Arthouse Film Society
Whether you're a film buff, a movie-lover or a film presenter, why not find kindred spirits to explore those cool films that rarely come to our local theaters!
The DO-IT-YOURSELF Movie Group!
I'm the founder of this group and pay monthly for it to exist, but posting & hosting regular film events has become too burdensome to do all myself all the time - so from now on, the NJ Arthouse Film Society is a DO-IT-YOURSELF kind of film meetup group. It's designed to allow YOU to choose a film that intrigues you, then decide where and when you'd like to see it. Create an event, post it and see who wants to join you. We have a large membership, so you might get a bunch of people, a few or, gulp, maybe none - but chances are you'll have someone to chat with about the film afterward. (Scroll down for how-to instructions!)
Got a Cool New Film to Publicize?
I'm happy to welcome independent filmmakers, film festivals and screening curators to hijack this group and use it to invite folks to see your films. Our members are pretty sophisticated and love to attend private indie film screenings, film festivals or "Evening with the Filmmaker Q&A's." Please don't contact me about it - just join and post! (Scroll down for how-to instructions!)
SPECIAL Film Nights!
I also encourage members with large enough spaces to throw Oscar parties, Golden Globe parties, My Favorite Film parties and the like. More complicated to arrange but VERY fun is the new DINE-IN movie theater experience - but that takes real planning because you have to reserve your seats ahead of time. (Scroll down for how-to instructions!)
EVERYONE can create a meetup event here - as long as you're a member. I'm too busy to field all the query emails and messages, so just go ahead and post your event.
Here are the guidelines. (I'll have to delete events that don't follow these!)
- JOIN this group
- FINALIZE your date, time and location
- COPY the appropriate TEMPLATE under the PAGES tab
- DESCRIBE the film(s) - synopsis, director and cast (I copy it from Rotten Tomatoes)
- INTRODUCE yourself (and organization/company) in a personal manner.
- INCLUDE 1 or more images. (I just drag the poster pic off Fandango or Rotten Tomatoes and upload it.)
and most of all ...
- AGREE to host/greet members and TELL US where to find you!
There MUST be someone at the event there to greet NJ Arthouse attendees and make them feel welcome. If you can't personally join us afterward, I just ask that you introduce us to each other and recommend a nearby cafe or coffee-house where we can chat about the film.
Your Apre-Film Review CHAT!
After doing this for a few years we've hit upon a great way to make sure everyone gets heard. Here's some suggestions as to how we've done it:
- SETTLE in at the cafe or restaurant.
- ORDER your food. (Personally, I like to keep it on one check and divvy up later or it becomes an absolute hell for the wait staff.)
- GO AROUND THE TABLE: Start on one side and ask members to say their first name and what they give the film - a Thumbs Up, a Thumbs Down or even a Thumbs in the Middle! Then tell us why. Hopefully conversation will ensue but I like to keep the reviews going until everyone's had a chance to share what their experience of it.
- FREE for ALL: Once that's been done - it's open discussion. Just like to keep the vibe civilized and kind to each other.
It doesn't matter if you're in the film "biz" or not, everyone's opinion counts - it's a lot of fun as well as eye-opening.
So, what's keeping you?
We keep it pretty casual and we're just regular folks - there's no particular "in" group or anything. Just friendly people who love to go to the movies!
For all kinds of info, click the PAGES tab above!
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by Francesca Rizzo ([address removed]) from The NJ Arthouse Film Society.
To learn more about Francesca Rizzo, visit his/her member profile
Set my mailing list to email me As they are sent | In one daily email | Don't send me mailing list messages
Meetup, POB 4668 #37895 NY NY USA 10163 | [address removed]