Central Jersey Gaming Group Message Board › Battletech Player FAQ

Battletech Player FAQ

Jeremy J.
Dangerflirt
Roselle Park, NJ
Post #: 102
BATTLETECH PLAYER’S FAQ

What do I need to play? Do I need rulebooks or minis?
You only need yourself to play. You can bring some d6’s if you want, as 2d6 is the standard dice mechanic for the entire game. If you have old Mechwarrior miniatures feel free to construct yourself a lance out of them; if not, we will provide you with minis. Also you don’t need any rulebooks, but see the following…

I’ve never played Battletech before, what do I need to do?
Let us know that you are coming to an event, and that you’ve never played before. We have a very easy starter army for you to use, and we’ll teach you how to destroy your opponents with the roll of some dice. When you are done, you’ll know enough to put together your own group of giant fighting robots, and much more of this stuff will make sense.

Where can I learn how to play? What rules are you using?
We’re using a modified version of the Classic Battltech Quickstart Rules, and the PDF can be downloaded from here- http://www.classicbattletech.com/downloads/QSR_BattleTech_EN.pdf­. There are a few modifications to the book however:

• For attack declaration (p.14), you do not have to declare your attacks for all mechs at once; you can declare your attacks for each mech when the attack. However, you must declare all of that mech’s attacks before you roll.
  • Also, you may only move four units and attack with four units each round, even if you have more than four units. Units that you moved do not have to be the same ones that you attack with.
  • For Infantry (p.21), we’re just using them as little bundles of hit points, like they used to be. Weapons do full damage to them, and all flamers / machine guns do extra damage to them, regardless of source. They’re squishy.
  • On the Attack Modifier Table (in the back), we’re using the old table, listed on the mech excel sheets in our files section. For each 3 hexes your Mech moved, it gains a +1 defensive bonus (1-3 hexes is +1, 4-6 hexes is +2, etc).

What Mechs, Vehicles or Infantry can I use?
We have a compiled list of which units you can purchase in our files section. You’ll first want to download the Lance Creation document, which has all of the units listed in a handy excel spreadsheet. You can also download the compiled sheets for Light Mechs, Medium Mechs, Heavy Mechs, Vehicles and Infantry in our download section, so you can choose which 200 tons of units you are going to bring to the battlefield.

What year does the campaign take place in (for those who understand such things)?
3010. The clans have started to creep in and their technologies are being shown off, but no one has any idea of what is to come. The Fourth Succession War has not begun yet, either.

Where can I learn background information about the worlds we are playing on? Or about the Houses, or the history of Mechs?
Catalyst has a very good document that summarizes the history of the Battletech Universe on their website, linked to http://www.classicbattletech.com/downloads/CBTUniverse.pdf­. It has more history then you really need, as we are currently in year 3010, and many of the events in that guide have not (and most likely will not) take place in our campaign.

Do you play any days other then Sunday?
We could, but no one has requested it yet. One of the great things about Battletech is that it only takes a few players to play- so if you want to try to organize a weeknight or Saturday game, just let me know and I’ll try to cook up a quick scenario. We’ll post it on the boards and see who shows up :)

Have any other questions? Ask them and we will try to answer them. Much of the game is self-explanatory once you’ve played it, and it’s a great deal of fun.

A former member
Post #: 1
Jeremy:

I notice that the Lance Creation spreadsheet implies that a lance contains no more than 3 'Mechs. All of us old-timey Btech playas from oh, say, two decades ago know a "lance" to be a unit of 4 'Mechs. Can I get a ruling here? (I brought 3 Mechs and 2 vehicles last game and coulda used more firepower...along with dice that rolled higher than a "5"...)
Jeremy J.
Dangerflirt
Roselle Park, NJ
Post #: 103
A lance technically is 4 mechs, but I didn't have enough minis to give everyone 4 mechs. I didn't think anyone would still have btech stuff. So let's just say the houses have put a limit of 3 purchased mechs on new lance commanders, but houses that have old mechs may use any configuration they have sitting around :)

So yes, if you have the minis, use anything you want. But we're still limiting it to 4 units that get actions any round, as I remember the days of some lances with 8 units that would use their weenie infantry first just so they could get their mechs into better position, lengthening the game.
A former member
I know that you were holding off next weekend because 2 games a week is much, but if you can wrangle people together and get away with it i'd love to have a game sometime during the week or next week. Tuesday is my only bad day lol
dancingstevie
user 8179575
New York, NY
Are we using the rule the everytime a mech falls, there has to be a piloting roll to avoid damaging the mechwarrior? So at least we have people lowering their piloting instead of putting everything into gunnery.
Jeremy J.
Dangerflirt
Roselle Park, NJ
Post #: 104
I like that idea eng- forgot about it. I'm writing an "in-house" rulebook with all of the legal options, that's going in there.