Mercer County Humanists - NJHN Message Board › Two books that you might be interested in.

Two books that you might be interested in.

A former member
Post #: 28
Dear fellow humanists!

I just read an interesting review of two books that I thought might be right up your alley:

http://www.economist....­

I have been meaning to attend one of your meetings, but haven't got a chance yet.

Hope to see you soon,
-Amir

P.S. I'm not sure if I can call myself an "atheist", but I have atheistic inclinations and sympathies!
A former member
Post #: 396
Dear Amir, I thank you for the article. Atheists and humanists will enjoy the great book reviews. Research on Bonobos and rats are now revealing an altruism and empathy component in their moral brain that is the basis of human morality. Efforts to control our lives seems to grow into the creation of the alpha male god. I wonder how they would explain the female gods of some cultures.

Now they are explaining how a neural network just naturally grew into an early attempt to find cause and effect through religion. Based on the one article you may be better off calling yourself a humanist or secular humanist. It takes a while to graduate to an atheistic attitude, not to mention an anti-theist attitude. You have to be willing to be provocative and confrontational. I am there but much older than you. -- John Z