addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

NJ Mobile Meetup Message Board NJ Mobile Meetup › Merge with other Mobile dev NJ group?

Merge with other Mobile dev NJ group?

Craig
CraiginNJ
North Wales, PA
Post #: 99
What do you think of the possibility of inviting 'that other' mobile dev meeting group in NJ to merge with ours?

As some of you may know, there's another mobile app dev meetup group homed in neighboring Watchung. They used to have a different focus, but they've recently changed their focus to the point where it seems totaly redundant of our 3x larger NJ Mobile meeting group.

Meanwhile, if we shared the leadership of our group with some additional active volunteers (e.g, their founders/leaders), both groups might find it easier to have more events each month, and better-attended events, and market itself better?

What do you think? Should we approach them about joining us?

PS -- I posted a message to that other meeting group asking how their new mission differed from ours and got no response, which reinforces my suspicion that there's now no difference. FYI, I suspect that most of their members are already members of our NJ Mobile meeting group.
Gary
garyDev
Stamford, CT
Post #: 5
Hi Craig,

I'm the organizer of Meetup Group - MobileDevNJ. We've had our head down on some really cool stuff, but, you're right we should have responded earlier.

I agree, your group in terms of membership is larger, perhaps not in actually meeting attendees, but your group is also a lot older than ours - by comparison, we've only just started ;)

Michael and I have discussed combining our Meetup, but he was reticent about changing the focus of NJ Mobile. So for now, we're OK with doing our own thing. Perhaps at some point in the future we can have another discussion. Right now, MobileDevNJ (http://www.meetup.com...­) is totally focused on practical development for all mobile platforms. We're not so much into the social thing at this point - we'd rather just code, learn, share and work on some really cool stuff - so I think that's where a lot of the differences are.

As we ramp up, we plan a number of interesting events. We've defined our core values and the top of the list is "Providing value for our members".

It's interesting you didn't mention the name of our meetup ;) After all, we don't mind supporting your group, in fact, I sent out an email to all of our members for your "Mobile App Development Contest" a couple of weeks ago and many of our members attended and won prizes. Go team!

So that's where we are at this point. I'm happy for our members to join both groups. The more the merrier. We're willing to support you guys, and hopefully, you'll support us as well.

Cheers, Gary
Organizer of MobileDevNJ Meetup
Gary
garyDev
Stamford, CT
Post #: 10
Hi all,

I posted a followup to this reply. You can read it here.­

Thanks, Gary