NJ Mobile Meetup Message Board NJ Mobile Meetup › IMPORTANT - NJ Mobile Explanation and Changes

IMPORTANT - NJ Mobile Explanation and Changes

A former member
Dear fellow Mobile Heads,

Thanks for your participation and continued support of our events and mission.

As some of you may know or have realized, it has become difficult for David Kay and I to lead the group as we once did and you deserve a word of explanation. A few months ago, David and I have moved our homes and jobs to Jersey City and NYC respectively. For those reasons and others, we can no longer afford to keep the group running by ourselves and all meetups have been suspended pending further notice.

We're in the process of finding new organizers to lead the group through the next chapter of its development because we are passionate about and believe strongly that there is a bright future for mobile technology, development and entrepreneurship in NJ. We've believed this all along and will continue to support the group, albeit in a different capacity.

If, however, we cannot identify anyone with whom we trust to execute faithfully to the mission and satisfaction of our members, we'll have no choice but to shutter the group, much to everyone's dismay. We will continue reaching out to and interviewing candidates through June 2011, and please let us know if you are interested and why you'd be a good leader for the group. We would be happy to talk with you further.

It's been a great ride and I can't tell you how pleased I am with how the group has panned out. Even so, I think that there's an opportunity for the next leader to do more than what David and I were able to... stronger social turnouts, more workshops and professional events, more off-site learning and collaboration opportunities!!

Apologies for the inconvenience and we remain hopeful that something great will come of this. Thanks again,

Mike

Craig
CraiginNJ
North Wales, PA
Post #: 107
I'd again like to suggest merging with MobileDevNJ.

I've never found any significant distinction between the mission of the two meetup groups, and with volunteer groups its always best to maximize the number of active volunteers, so merging would make use both more powerful.

As to the method of merging, I'd suggest the MobileDevNJ leaders take over our meetup group and migrate their people over to it since we've got more content in our meetup group and more members, and then let them evolve it however the most active volunteer leaders prefer.

Craig

Gary
garyDev
Stamford, CT
Post #: 9
To all NJ Mobile Meetup Members,

We'd like to extend an invitation to all NJ Mobile Meetup Members who can attend and participate in a mobile development technology meetup group held at co-working space @ConvergeNJ, at Kean University in Union.

Our next meeting is this Wednesday, May 11th.

We're a relatively new meetup group and would welcome the expertise and participation of the NJ Mobile meetup members. Areas of focus are iOS SDK, Android programming, game development, problem solving, technology hacks, etc. If you'd like to introduce a new topic, let us know - we're open to member suggestions and recommendations. For example, I know we could use some help on the Android side of things.

MobileDevNJ welcomes all enthusiastic members whether you're a beginner, intermediate, or expert developer. If you're an expert, share; if you're a beginner, there's lots to learn. Either way you'll get something out of it guaranteed.

You can join our Meetup group here.

If you have any questions you can contact me at gary at kaliware dot com.

Cheers, Gary
Craig
CraiginNJ
North Wales, PA
Post #: 108
Gary's reaction implies his MobileDevNJ is not interested in discussing a merger even if it puts them in charge. If that's the case, I'd suggest NJ Mobile find a better way to distinguish itself.

For example, maybe NJ Mobile should become NJ Mobile West, spanning the western half of NJ down through Princeton? Something like that might address a need that a Union-based group can't meet, and I'm sure there'd be plenty of opportunities for collaboration between us.

Thoughts?
Gary
garyDev
Stamford, CT
Post #: 11
Hi Craig,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but neither did I say I wasn't interested, nor imply it through my message above. I merely sent out an invitation. We had a terrific meeting last night

http://www.meetup.com/MobileDevNJ/messages/boards/thread/11005811­

As I've said in the past, I'm always open to discussing a merger, Michael de Senna was the one that closed off the earlier discussion. I also reached out to you via private email to start the dialogue. Let me know when you'd like to talk. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Gary
Bill M.
user 11587302
New Brunswick, NJ
Post #: 1
The point of a meetup group (for me) is that like-minded individuals are in geographic proximity, either constantly or often enough due to circumstances. I come to events primarily because travel to Princeton or New Brunswick is easy enough. I suspect that a group primarily composed of membership in northern NJ or the NY area is not likely to schedule events compelling enough for me to travel the distance.

I don't care who is running the show when I come to chat informally. If I was still actively developing for Android, I would have different priorities, and possibly be willing to travel farther. With regard to that, David Kay's work was excellent (for example), but absent such leadership, I just want to stay in touch anyway.

If folks want to continue to occasionally chew the fat in person down here in central or south Jersey, I'm up for it. So I would like to see the S Jersey group continue operating, perhaps at a low-level or socially, at least until such time as it resumes a more formal agenda or just dissipates. Anybody can participate in both groups if so inclined. No competition, offense or ego. Just beer.

If that's not an adequate mission, so be it.
Bill R.
user 14629840
Princeton, NJ
Post #: 1
I just became a member of this group and echo Bill Michaelson's remarks. I am hoping to
get together with other like minded folks in Princeton on June 2nd to meet others and discuss how they want to move forward. I much prefer nearby locations and can get to New Brunswick
or Princeton easy enough. The farther away the less the appeal as Bill points out.
Cheers (hopefully) soon.
Bill R.
user 14629840
Princeton, NJ
Post #: 2
Hi All, I have June 2nd penciled in as a meetup in the Princeton area. Can someone please provide status on this. It does not appear to be on the Meetup calendar.
Craig
CraiginNJ
North Wales, PA
Post #: 119
I can mention that a new slate of organizers (including one from before) have stepped up and are thinking about how best to get things back in gear. I'm not sure how fast they ... er, ... I mean we (yes, I'll be one of them) can get things back in gear, so look for a message from one of the others who may be closer to an answer to your immediate question.