align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

nlgug - Groovy and Grails User Group Netherlands Message Board › Future of the NLGUG

Future of the NLGUG

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi all,
last week at the Grails & Groovy exchange Erik told me that he would like to give a more serious structure to the NLGUG. That firstly means that he don't want to be the only person that manage all the things, I proposed myself to be part of the "board" and we have already some ideas on which will also join this board.

Well this thread is to ask to all of you what are your ideas on how we could going further with the NLGUG, do we need some subscriptions (like 10 euros/year) ? What kind of talks would you like to see ? How can we promote our GUG (T-shirts, goodies) ?

Concerning the talks I want at least plan this 3 concrete ideas in 2010 :

- The groovy RAD-like race, that is already been prepared by Erik.

- Luca Foppiano, Data Flow Engineer at European Patent Office in Den Haag, living in the Hagues, fresh new member of the NLGUG and who is really applying the groovy power on a huge project. We met him during the Gex in London and it sounds very, very interesting. He told me he was okay to give a talk about this.

- Mister Haki , well we have the chance that Mister haki lives in Holland , he is also member of the NLGUG, will be very nice if he could give us a talk/workshop about his groovy goodness's.

Well, it's your turn to propose !!

Erik P.
user 7787465
Sydney, AU
Post #: 3
Hi Sebastien,

Great post. Not much to add to this, except that I have also got some (big) plans for the next year, and a lot of Groovy stuff coming for the next year. Like you said, I want to take the NLGUG to the next level and promote Groovy, Grails, etc + the NLGUG a little more.

That said, we are also looking for a third person. If you think you're up to it, let us know, and we'll work out something!

Erik
A former member
Post #: 2
Well,
I know that Alex is ready to become a member of the board and I think 4 people can also be a good option :

- a "President"
- a "operational director"
- a "marketing director"
- a "Strategic director

I'm thinking also to send a email to SpringSource to ask them how they could help us (sponsership, funds etc ..) ? Do you think it's a good idea ?
A former member
Ik ben zeker bereid om mee te gaan helpen. Past goed in mijn plan voor 2010 om meer focus te geven aan grails :-), laat me maar weten of ik iets kan doen.
awouda
awouda
Amsterdam, NL
Hi,

Grails and Groovy definitely get more focus of me as well in 2010 and the NLGUG is the perfect driver for this, so I'm in for the next level of the NLGUG!

As discussed at the Gex with Eric and Sebas, maybe actions to focus on a convention in 2011 is a nice goal.

Alex
A former member
Hi guys!
I would like to say hello to everybody and I confirm my availability to give a talk about my work at the EPO ;-)

If I can help in any other way I'm available ;-)

See you
Luca

PS: soon I'll publish my photos and my blog post about the groovy and grails exchange
Hubert Klein I.
user 9130995
Tilburg, NL

- Mister Haki , well we have the chance that Mister haki lives in Holland , he is also member of the NLGUG, will be very nice if he could give us a talk/workshop about his groovy goodness's.

Hi all,

of course I would love to give a talk/workshop about Groovy's awesome features, that is no problem.

I am already amazed by how Erik could organize all the meetings so far, I am very impressed: good work! It feels like a good time to get to a next (more organized) level. Groovy/Grails/Griffon/Gradle/... are getting more and more attention, so more people will like to join NLGUG (hopefully). I really like the feel of the Groovy community, everybody is very down to earth and helpful. So it is good if we can share this feeling with more people.

Looking forward to next year! Groovy? Yes, we can!

Hubert Klein Ikkink, aka mrhaki
dan r.
danroden
Bowen Island, BC

firstly its great to see that there is a growing groovy/grails community in nl. having only recently discovered the world of grails, but having about 10 years enterprise java experience, with mainly ibm tech (websphere as/portal), i am really excited about the possibilities that grails offers, particularly in the enterprise. it is the most excited ive been about enterprise java development for years and have put on hold my rails based learning whilst i try and get up to speed as quickly as practical with g/g knowledge.

there are many areas i would find interesting to hear about from people with existing experience but as an example of my particular interest is in integrating grails into legacy enterprise environments (both from a technical and business perspective) including actual deployments into non-greenfield sites, new features coming in with grails 1.2 /spring 3, ide evaluation and usage plus the areas mentioned above.

overall though it would be great to be part of a structured groovy/grails group in nl and would be keen to participate on various levels to drive forward an area i strongly believe will have a major impact in the java world over the next few years.