node.dc Message Board › Help: Scaling a node.js app to 10s of 10000s of connections

Help: Scaling a node.js app to 10s of 10000s of connections

Peter C.
corbett3000
Washington, DC
Post #: 19
Team,

We did some work on an app that lets people fire baseballs over the internet (see here) and put the rig in a warehouse in DC. Hilarity ensued.

The app lives entirely within Amazon's AWS ecosystem, and we're building off that for a new project. The stack includes:

-Dedicated MongoDB and Redis servers
-three different groups of nodejs servers
-additionally, we're making use of Amazon's API for server configuration and autoscaling

The issue we're facing is that we haven't been able to simulate more than about 15000 concurrent users (websocket connections) per instance. We should be getting considerably more; we think 10s of thousands. The server CPU usage is only at 40%.

Any thoughts on how to scale a node.js app to enable it to have many more simultaneous connections to a single server?

I'm hoping to be pointed in the right direction - but if it's a "big answer" - I wouldn't be adverse to putting a paid consulting gig together to help us solve it.

Will L.
wlaurance
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
As a short answer and hoping to point you in the right direction, I would look at this nodeup podcast episode http://nodeup.com/for...­

However, it doesn't look like they were testing more than 10K connections
Dan M.
user 55166232
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
This deck summarizes some critical tweaks and designing for a multiprocess cluster: Planning for the Horizontal: Scaling Node.js Applications
Peter C.
corbett3000
Washington, DC
Post #: 20
Great comments guys. Thank you so much - we'll dig in.