addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Northern San Diego Photography Collective Message Board › Anza-Borrego Spring Desert Wildflowers

Anza-Borrego Spring Desert Wildflowers

A former member
Post #: 101
Anza-Borrego wildflowers are finally beginning to bloom. Ocotillos are predicted to be the best in recent years. DesertUSA.com rates current bloom at 4/10. The Spring Desert Wildflower and Macro Workshop should be timed perfectly this year.

Here's an exerpt from an article I wrote about a "poor man's" macro lens. To read the whole article and see photos of the setup, download this PDF.

"The photo to the left was taken with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. It’s one of Canon’s finest lenses and does double duty as an excellent portrait lens. One thing to keep in mind is the extremely shallow depth of field when working with a macro lens. Notice how the jumping spider’s eyes are in focus but the rest of the spider is out of focus.

A very low cost but high quality method involves tools that many people already have in their camera gear bag. Most people have owned a 35mm film SLR at one time. Such kits often came equipped with a manual aperture, 45mm to 55mm “normal” lens. (A normal lens captures a scene about the same size as the human eye). For example, I have a Pentax Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8 lens that was originally purchased with my Pentax Spotmatic in 1966."

There are only three spots left on Sat, 3/26 and Sun, 3/27. Register for one or both days. All students have full access to my macro gear so you can try a Canon 100/2.8, extension rings, close-up filters, macro focusing rails or anything else that catches your fancy.