addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Lydia
user 14130128
Carlsbad, CA
Post #: 2
Hi all,

I'm new to this group and also to photography.
I would love to hear what anyone wants to share about getting a starter camera to try my skills :)
I know I love taking pictures with my iPhone and I am told I take really nice ones!
I don't have a ton of money right now so I was thinking of getting a cheaper new one since I don't know if a used one will work properly. Please advise and any advice will go a long way!

Thanks,
Lydia
Dan C.
DanchusiD
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2,627
Hi Lydia,

If you're moving up from the iPhone, I would suggest getting something like an advanced point & shoot camera, so you can work on the basic skills, yet still have some control over your images without going into debt.

Later, if you feel you are ready to step up to a camera with interchangeable lenses, or an actual DSLR, we can give you some more pointers.

It's also a good idea to possibly take a class in basic photography so you can learn the basics, gain some insights on proper use and develop your skills.

A little knowledge never hurts! smile

If you come to one of our monthly gatherings, hopefully we can point you in a few directions to help you make a choice.