Richard
user 10083099
Beeston, GB
Post #: 15
I've been toying with the idea of putting up an urban walk for a while and have concocted a route covering the south-east edge of the city centre. It's essentially a circular walk starting and ending in the Lace Market, following the Nottingham Canal up to Trent Bridge and returning via Lady Bay Bridge and the Cattle Market. I reccied it recently and reckon it's a two and a half/three hour walk at a fairly easy pace. Needless to say, liquid refreshment would constitute an ideal finale.

If you are equally as drawn to the majestic (yes!) background sight of Eastcroft Incinerator as you are to the shimmering waters of the Trent, then you will probably love this. If, however, your concept of walking for pleasure doesn't extend much beyond the likes of Dovedale (which is, of course, terrific for entirely different reasons), then it's probably not for you.

Would anyone be interested if I put this up as an event in the next week or three, possibly one evening to take advantage of the beautiful light at that time of day? This would be an all-weather walk, so not suitable for anyone who scurries off indoors at the first hint of a raincloud.

Richard
Clive
user 10229850
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 14
Top notch event idea richard - I'm in if the timing/day is right

There's a remarkably fascist looking derelict building on the north side of the river between Lady Bay and Trent Bridge - I wonder if that's the incinerator of which you rhapsodise ? I was so struck by it the ither day I
had to stop and photograph it - a single sculler in the rivery foreground made a nice contrast ...

Re the all-weatherness of the walk - can this be guaranteed ??
Matthew M.
MatthewMcVeagh
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 177
Yes Richard - tho who knows if I'll have something else on at the time you pick. Go for it anyway! We definitely need a canal walk.

Are you intending stops for discussion of the details or just continuous walking?
Richard
user 10083099
Beeston, GB
Post #: 16
Hi guys

Clive - do you mean the vaguely art deco-looking blue building with a semi-circular section jutting out of the rear? As to the weather, I'm prepared to guarantee my presence in all circumstances short of the Trent flooding.

Mat - I'm no guide, but yes, it would be nice to stop occasionally for a discussion of notable sights. I could possibly produce a guide sheet with some notes on it and/or bring along a laminated old picture or two. Points of interest include:

• Garner's Hill
  • The derelict area behind the Broad Marsh Centre, which will change beyond recognition when the Westfield expansion takes place
  • Relics of the Great Central and Great Northern Railways
  • The canal towpath, lock and associated history
  • The remains of the old Trent (Hethbeth) Bridge
  • The Nottingham Boat Club, which has played host to gigs by such greats as Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd
  • The Nottingham Forest and Notts County football grounds
  • The entrance to the Grantham Canal
  • Lady Bay Bridge (nice views back towards Trent Bridge) and the Cattle Market
  • The Tinker's Leen and Hooters (!)
  • A little known pedestrian route back up to the Lace Market above some (now sealed off) caves
  • The brooding, stygian presence of... EASTCROFT INCINERATOR!

Matthew M.
MatthewMcVeagh
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 180
Sounds fantastic, that list is a seller. Anyone else reading this interested?
Clive
user 10229850
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 15
I'm in, day of the week and time of the month permitting (did I say that already ?) I suspect the walk will cover a lot of the same ground (water !) as http://www.meetup.com...­ so will be interesting to see the same sites/sights at a different time of day ...
A former member
Post #: 170
Damn, did I miss this walk? Any others coming up?
Matthew M.
MatthewMcVeagh
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 213
It never happened I'm afraid Monica!
Anna F.
user 21752551
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 1
It never happened I'm afraid Monica!

Why not do it soon, then, Anna
Richard
user 10083099
Beeston, GB
Post #: 24
I'd still like to do this or something similar at some point, if the interest is there. Hopefully when the days lengthen a little...