Click HERE for a larger view of the picture below :)
Arrive at 8:00am
Rolling at 8:30am
There will be 2 options:
Half Century: The Big BBQ Ride
(Shirlington to Carolina Brothers and back)
* Carolina Brothers opens at 10:30am
The Full Century - The Whole Shebang!
(Shirlington to Shirlington)
Max Temperature 93 °F
Min Temperature 75 °F
Max Temperature 89 °F
Min Temperature 71 °F
Max Temperature 84 °F
Min Temperature 75 °F
• 1st RULE of Fight Club: This is an Advanced Ride
• 2nd RULE of Fight Club: This is an ADVANCED RIDE ... be prepared to ride accordingly (see the Fine Print section below).
• There will be NO SWEEPER on this ride ... it is a "no drop" ride in the fact that you can call my cell and let me know that you're having an issue and we will figure out what needs to be done, but I will NOT be riding behind you if you are last.
• It will be 50 or 100 miles (your choice).
• If you do the Half Century you will be riding with the group up to Carolina Brothers, but you will be doing the return ride back to Shirlington on your own.
• It will be August (hot)
• Freeze your water bottles and load your camel-back with ice.
• Bring salty snacks.
• Be prepared to do what you have to do to ride in hot weather... read the following article and come prepared.
The ride may be cancelled if the heat index is above 100 or if it is raining steady.
Electronic Files (Right Click, Save As):
• Shirlington MM0 (Mile 0.0) * We Roll.
• Whole Foods MM 11.5 (Mile 11.5) * We regroup, we stretch, we make sure everyone got off to a good start (no flats, etc.).
• Carolina Brothers MM 27.5 (Mile 27.5) * The 50 milers turn around here.
• Trails End Cycling MM 45.0 (Mile 45.0) * Trail's end
• ---- We now head off to do the Purcellville 10 mile loop ----
• Doner Bistro MM34.5 (Mile 65.0) * LUNCH
• Green Lizard Cycling MM19.8 (Mile 80)
• Shirlington MM0 (Mile 100)
The Meeting Spot:
4200 Campbell Ave, Arlington, Virginia , 22206
Click HERE for a map to calculate your own directions.
The Ride after the Ride:
A fine eating establishment in Shirlington (Most Likely Guapos)
Ride Level Chart:
A note about our ride levels. We try to accommodate all levels of cyclists with different types of rides. We just ask that you come to the ride that suits your current riding ability the best.
Introductory Level : If you haven't ridden a bike in a number of years (or are uncertain of your abilities on a bicycle).
Beginner Level : If you can easily ride your bike for 10 miles (distance) with some minor hills at a comfortable pace (10+ to 12+ mph).
Medium Level : If you can do 20 miles pretty easily at a moderate pace (13 to 15+ mph)
Advanced Level : If you can do 20++ miles easily at a 15+ pace and / or handle various challenges as rain, night riding, or other odd cycling situations.
The Fine Print:
An RSVP of 'YES' is your digital signature and means you have read and understood MEETUP.com's "Terms of Service : Section 6.2 " found HERE (http://www.meetup.com/terms/) and NOVA-CBG's "Assumption of Risk Agreement" found HERE (http://files.meetup.com/1557670/NOVA-CBG_WAIVER.pdf).
Remember that helmets are required to participate in all NOVA-CBG rides. NO Helmet, NO ride, NO exceptions. All riders ride at their own risk and with the understanding that cycling is an inherently dangerous activity. When coming to the meetup you do so voluntarily and are ready and able to participate in the ride as described under the conditions of the day.
Be on time for the "pre-ride" preparation. This is when we check to make sure you have all the required equipment and the last chance for you to make sure your bike is ready for the ride. We will also talk through the route for the day and review basic safety instruction for group riding as well as other important topics. If you do not attend the pre-ride preparation, you will not be allowed to participate on the ride, so please be on time as there will be NO exceptions. Please also keep in mind the group's cancellation policy when you RSVP.