Welcome to the Northern Virginia Casual Biking Group (NOVA-CBG). For your cycling pleasure, please join us for various casual bicycle rides around the area.
Now, how do we define "casual"?
Well, we really don't pressure anyone to be a professional cyclist.
We don't ask you to own any special gear (except for a helmet).
We don't ask you to wear special outfits (unless you want to of course).
All we ask is that you come as you are comfortably with a bike that is in well-tuned shape and a helmet.
We ride with a "no man left behind" philosophy so that everyone can enjoy themselves without fear of getting lost or left behind. So the ride may have a few extra "re-grouping" stops if that is required due to various riding skills. Because of this philosophy we really try to ask that the cyclist's riding skill matches the ride they are on.
We try to accommodate all levels of cyclists with different types of rides. We just ask that you come to the ride that suits your current riding ability the best.
If you haven't ridden a bike in a number of years (or are uncertain of your abilities on a bicycle) you should come to the "Introductory Level" rides to get yourself reintroduced to your bike seat (10 mph).
If you can easily ride your bike for 10 miles (distance) with some minor hills at a comfortable pace (10+ to 12+ mph) then a "Beginner Level" ride would probably suit you the best.
If you can do 20 miles pretty easily at a moderate pace (13 to 15+ mph) then the "Medium Level" rides would be for you.
If you are an avid cyclist, you will probably be bored by our slower pace (unless you're coming for a recovery ride) but we welcome anyone to ride with us since there is also a social and fun aspect to all or our rides!
Just like every other group we DO have some riding requirements:
1) Helmets are mandatory for every ride we do, no exceptions... period.
2)All riders ride at their own risk and with the understanding that cycling is an inherently dangerous activity. Participating in a NoVA-CBG ride is voluntary and riders must be ready and able to participate in the ride as described in the meetup and under the conditions of the day. Riders have read and acknowledged by an RSVP 'YES' MEETUP.com's "Terms of Service : Section 6.2 " found HERE (http://www.meetup.com/terms) and NOVA-CBG's "Assumption of Risk Agreement" found HERE (http://files.meetup.com/1557670/NOVA-CBG_WAIVER.pdf).
3) Just in case there is an emergency situation you should always have on you Identification, Insurance, and any other important medical information.
4) All riders must be at least 18 years of age.
5) No music is allowed on any of the rides. Headphones or otherwise.
6) We have a pretty serious "No Show" policy. Please read the "ABOUT" page for complete ride descriptions and policies.http://www.meetup.com/NOVA-CBG/about/ 7) Money -Your annual "Suggested Donation Fee" of $10.00 is always appreciated to help defer the cost of the MEETUP and EVENT fees (like our Annual Picnic or Holiday Party). However, I would never want that to get in the way of someone coming and riding with us so I'll let you and your pocketbook decide.