CHADD of Northern Virginia Message Board › Parents of ADHD Kids near Centreville

Parents of ADHD Kids near Centreville

Lauren L.
user 36398302
Chantilly, VA
Post #: 1
I am wondering if anyone lives in closer to the Centreville, Fairfax, Manassas areas that would be interested in starting meetings around here. Alexandria is pretty far of a drive for me from Centreville but I am really interested in meeting up with other parents. I have a 5 year old daughter with ADHD and Anxiety challenges. She is awesome, smart and creative and I assume all your children are. And...she is difficult to keep up with and manage sometimes...something again I assume we all share. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks!

Lauren
Amy
wealhtheow
Centreville, VA
Hi Lauren:

I live in Centreville and I would definitely be interested in some meetings closer to here! My 4.5 yo son is not yet officially diagnosed--we saw a developmental pediatrician in March and she said that since he's already receiving services she wasn't comfortable diagnosing him at such a young age, but that if he continues on this track she will have no problems giving him a diagnosis when he's in kindergarten so he can continue to qualify for services. He's also exhibiting some sensory processing issues.
A former member
I am interested. I have an 11 year old son with ADHD and looking to connect with other parents of ADHD children. There is a group meeting regularly in Ashburn which might be convenient for you all. Let me know if you get something started. Thanks! Sarah
Sherry L. G.
user 61192852
Manassas, VA
We are looking for something closer to the Manassas area too. With school starting, being out late isn't an option for parents with an ADHD kid (don't we all know!). We moved to the area last year and don't know a great deal of people in the area. We have an 11 year old boy with ADHD and LD challenges. We also have a 5 year old daughter who is at the opposite end of the spectrum (LOL). We would gladly offer our home or HOA clubhouse for local meetings. Either has plenty of room; our home has a play room and the clubhouse has a DVD player for the kids. We have just begun to explore CHADD and have not become a member yet. We will be taking the P2P training soon as well...So how would we go about making this happen?
charina
Charina
Bristow, VA
Post #: 38
I have a 6 year old son with Anxiety, ADHD and some LD too. The anxiety seems predominant but we have an IEP this year which helps (home-schooled from Dec - June last year). Now, 2 out of 3 mornings he got on the bus. Hooray! Little steps.

So, yes we live in Bristow and would be interested in meeting in Manassas. I have seen homeschool groups meet at the Bull Run library. Just another suggestion of meeting places. Look forward to hearing from everyone.
A former member
I have a particular interest in working with children and adolescents with learning disabilities, ADD, and ADHD, as I was diagnosed early in elementary school with Attention Deficit Disorder. I was a successful high school All-American and Division-I collegiate athlete, I was pursued as a prospect by a number of major league baseball teams. I was an All-America candidate for baseball at Georgetown Prep, and received an athletic scholarship to The George Washington University. I continue to play semi-pro baseball and has a major interest in sports psychology. I feel strongly that exercise is an important component to a healthy mind, body, and soul. When possible, I incorporate this philosophy into my clinical workings as a licensed mental health therapist.

I have approximately 12 years of experience in providing therapy to children, adolescents, and adults with varying needs in the community. My experience has varied from inpatient therapy, home therapy, outpatient, private sector, and mental health emergency services. Most recently, I worked for six years with the Fairfax County Community Services Board both as a Mental Health Therapist and Mental Health Supervisor where I was part of a multi-disciplinary team serving high risk, mentally ill, and emotionally disturbed adults and children in acute crisis. This included providing specialized services such as risk assessment and crisis intervention. My true passion however, is providing outpatient care to children, adolescents, and adults with daily life problems. These problems may include ADHD, ADD, transitioning through one’s life span, anger, anxiety, parenting skills, loss of a loved one, depression, emotional health, executive coaching, marriage and divorce issues, sports psychology, and PTSD. By taking an integrative approach toward treatment, I am able to assist my clientele with their struggles and help them to lead a more productive and satisfying life.

I am a therapist in McLean, Virginia working for the Duffy Counseling Center. www.duffycounseling.com
Catherine A.
user 3179695
Vienna, VA
Post #: 3
If anyone is interested in starting a CHADD sponsored Parent support group, please check out the CHADD of No VA website at http://www.chadd.net/...­. If there is no current group in your current area, please contact me about your interest in leading/starting a Parent Group in No. VA. Thanks, Catherine Adams (adamsadhdconsult@verizon.net)