addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi:
I'm just starting out with RoR. Does anyone have any suggestions for must-have Ruby on Rails books?
Thanks!
A former member
I would start with Agile Web Development with Rails by Dave Thomas, and David Heinemeier Hansson with Leon Breedt, Mike Clark, James Duncan Davidson, Justin Gehtland, and Andreas Schwarz.

It has a lot of great coverage for a beginner.

Book site
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks, Matt! It's now ordered! smile
William S.
user 3642140
Ashburn, VA
Post #: 13
The Agile Web Development Book (not in 2nd version) is the standard for getting started. You will also want to keep a handy Ruby book around to support what you need. I use "The Ruby Way" by Fulton to have a paper copy. I also use http://www.rubycentra...­ for API references.

There are a few new Rails Social Networking books that actually read very well for learning Ruby and Rails. "One is Rails: Social Networking Sites", the other is "RailsSpace". I would steer clear of the recipe books until you have some experience under your belt.

Take care,
Bill
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks for the great references.

Regards,
Mary
A former member
Post #: 4
In addition to Agile Web Development which is wonderful, there is a great additional resource. Peepcode.com offers great professional quality tutorial videos for just $9 each. They have RoRI and II, each an hour long. Comes with excellent Cheat Sheet and is also available in mp3 format.
A former member
Post #: 2
If you like peepcode, you should have a look at Railscasts. They are shorter segments on a particular problem/solution for Rails. You can find it at the iTunes podcast section or directly from the site: Railscasts

Had to edit to fix spelling. Its plural, railscasts.
A former member
I am using Simply Rails 2. I got it mainly because it covered Rails 2.0. It is confusing/impossible to use pre-Rails 2.0 tutorials. I would recomend it for beginners. Although it doesn't cover the Ruby language extensively. It was a big help to me.