NovaRUG/Web Platform DC Message Board › The Northern Virginia Ruby Meetup Group Discussion Forum › VisualCV.com is looking for Ruby on Rails web developers in Reston, VA
|A former member||
Join a well-funded Web 2.0 startup in the Northern Virginia area and help us build Version-1.0 of VisualCV.com. VisualCV will revolutionize personal career management and provide a new way of managing talent for Fortune 500 companies worldwide. We’re driven by some of the top entrepreneurs and financial backers in the Washington, DC tech community. http://www.visualcv.c...
We’re all about Ruby on Rails. Come work with us and you’ll get a chance to work with the latest web technology and be mentored by some of the top names in the Rails community.
We’re looking for a range of junior-mid-senior Ruby on Rails developers. The ideal candidate is a battle-hardened veteran that has seen projects through the complete software life-cycle; from design and development to testing and production deployment (and beyond). You’ve on worked apps that run in large scale production environments, with thousands of concurrent clients connected in a high-traffic, consumer-facing context. You’re ready for some technically challenging work that stretches the state-of-the-art to the bleeding edge. You’re eager to work on the next great Web 2.0 application.
It’s going to be lots of fun. You’ll be working in a small, agile development environment with very little corporate overhead to get in the way. We’re fast moving, highly energetic, and prize great programming chops above all else. We’ve already got a multi-year roadmap of great product features to build.
We’ll give you a healthy base compensation with a significant performance bonus. As an early member of the team you’ll have an opportunity for an equity stake in the success of VisualCV.com. Even as a startup, we provide full benefits, including fully paid-for family health benefits.
What you’ll be doing at VisualCV.com:
Code, code, code. Be an integral part of a Web 2.0 Ruby on Rails agile development family.
Test, test, test. Using best practices for RoR web development, quality assurance, and configuration management.
Deploy, deploy, deploy. Our applications will support thousands of users worldwide. Help us build out and support a world-class production architecture using an evolutionary series of frequent releases.
Grow, grow, grow. Get in early and stake your claim in a rapidly growing development team!
What we’re looking for in the perfect candidate:
• Practical ability in Ruby on Rails development (RoR expertise highly preferred, but we will consider code masters in other MVC frameworks if they’re willing to passionately commit to the Ruby on Rails way)
• Intimate understanding of HTML/CSS/AJAX web development
• Conversant in Web 2.0 user interface design principles
• Passion, integrity, brains, and an intolerance of mediocre code
• Lived Linux-based development for mission-critical, large-scale production deployments
• Understanding and experience with best practices for team software development
• Believer in Agile Development methodologies
• Desire to do things “the right way” rather than “just make it work”.
Would be great if you also had these:
• Experience with PostgreSQL, (we’ll consider MySQL database experience as well)
• Experience with RIA Frameworks, such as YUI, Prototype, Scriptaculus or EXTJS
• Experience with I18N/G11N issues desirable
How to earn “Extra Credit”:
• Be active in the Rails Community (code contributor, blogger, conference speaker, trainer, etc.)
• Be very familiar with Subversion, Capistrano, Rake, Unfuddle, Monit, and other tools for Ruby on Rails development
• Willing to provide code samples and real-world website URLs demonstrating your work
• Have a stack of well-worn books from Pragmatic Programmers and O’Reilly at your desk
• Have integrated Sphinx, Solr, or other search technologies with web applications
How to get started:
Think you’re a good fit for a starring role at VisualCV.com? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s get started! We’re really looking for full-time employees, but will consider temp-to-perm or long-term contractors if you’re a close match to our criteria and are willing to work on-site with our team in Reston, VA.