The Northern Virginia Sports Car Club Message Board › exhaust ticket

exhaust ticket

Humberto
user 55626922
Ashburn, VA
Post #: 2
has anyone gotten pulled over for having a loud exhaust system?
im working on installing a full straight pipe with new headers on my celica. But then i dont want to get a fix it ticket :P
A former member
Post #: 3
Leave the catalytic converter on, BIG fines if you take it off, both DEQ and EPA.
Humberto
user 55626922
Ashburn, VA
Post #: 3
thank you. i'll let my mechanic know then
Matt C.
user 46351682
Vienna, VA
Post #: 1
I was pulled over for speeding and no front license plate by a VA state trooper. Didn't say anything about the straight pipes on my Porsche 911. Went to court and got the other tickets dropped anyways. Just said there was a bunch of congestion there was no way I could have been speeding during rush hour and brought a picture with the license plate installed and the judge threw out the charges. Noise ordinance is like 80 something DB in Fairfax so they can ticket you but I have been daily driving straight pipes for 6 months with no issues. good luck
Lee
user 76430212
Leesburg, VA
I have been warned for running headers with just glass packs but never ticketed. You might want to get a remote switch that closes the cutout when you want to. It is an old hot rodder trick.

BTW, not catalytic converter will make it nearly impossible to pass emissions inspection.
Chris
user 83487002
Centreville, VA
Post #: 1
No catalytic converter will also fail you for a state safety inspection in VA even of you do not need emissions in your county, ie Fauqier County.
Frederick
user 60971162
Fairfax, VA
I don't know what state you live in but, in Virginia there is noise ordinance law. Now Police normally will not enforce this law unless some one complains and if they do respond to the complaint you will receive a defective equipment ticket $90-$150 and may have to go to court to show the Judge you have made the repairs!