addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

New Yorkers Against Religion-Based Bigotry Message Board › The Cordoba Initiative vs. a recent wave of bigotry against Muslims

The Cordoba Initiative vs. a recent wave of bigotry against Muslims

Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 493
This thread is for information about efforts to counteract the recent hullabaloo against the so-called "Ground Zero Mosque" (actually, two blocks away from Ground Zero, and it's a community center, not simply a mosque).

Here are the website and blog of the Cordoba Initiative, the group with the contested building plan.

I've blogged about this matter here and here.

If you, and/or some group you're a member of, are doing anything to counteract the recent wave of irrational bigotry against Muslims, please tell us about it here in this thread. We are especially interested in timely announcements of counter-protests in response to protest rallies against the "Ground Zero Mosque."
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 494
Will there be a counter-protest against the September 11 anti-mosque protest? I just now found out about an anti-mosque protest, on Saturday, September 11, via the excellent blog Bartholomew's Notes on Religion.

I do not yet know if anyone is organizing a counter-protest. I will try to find out. In the meantime, if anyone else here knows of any counter-protests, please post the relevant info here.

P.S.: I've posted­ about this on the message board of the Progressive Muslim Meetup Group.

Further P.S.: There will be a Liberty Walk: Interfaith Rally for Religious Freedom on Sunday, September 12.
A former member
Post #: 17
Here is the info for the demonstration on Sept. 12th.

http://www.facebook.c...­

Hope to see you all there!
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 499
Thanks very much. I've dug up more info and posted about it here, as a NYARBB calendar note: Liberty Walk: Interfaith Rally for Religious Freedom.

I've also posted about both this event and another counter-protest, in Washington, D.C., on the group blog Talk To Action: Upcoming counter-protests against recent anti-mosque protests.

The Liberty Walk is scheduled for Sunday, September 12, the day after a big anti-"mosque" protest on Saturday, September 11. I'm still wondering whether anyone has any plans for a smaller counter-protest on the afternoon of Saturday, September 11.

P.S.: If you're planning to participate in the September 12 march, and if you would like to march with our group (NYARBB) in particular, please RSVP here as soon as possible.
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 501
I would appreciate comments on the following draft of an official NYARBB position statement on the "Ground Zero" "mosque" controversy:

Recently there has been quite a hullabaloo against the construction of Park 51, a Muslim community center, on the alleged grounds that it is somehow "disrespectful" to build a "mosque" two blocks north of the World Trade Center site.

We consider this notion to be complete nonsense. Building a "mosque" in that neighborhood is "disrespectful" only to those people who lump all Muslims into one box with the 9/11 terrorists. It is alleged to be "disrespectful" to the families of those killed on 9/11, but by no means do all 9/11 families agree with that. (Donna Marsh O'Connor, of the September 11 Families for Peaceful Tomorrows, has spoken in support of Park 51.)

It is only to be expected that there would be Muslim places of worship in that neighborhood, along with the many Christian churches already there, because lots of Muslims live and work there. The proposed community center (really not a "mosque," but more like a Muslim equivalent of the YMCA) will not even be visible from the World Trade Center site, except from above the 20th floor or so of the forthcoming "Freedom Tower." Furthermore, the local community has no problem with Park 51; the protesters are nearly all out-of-towners and people from the outer boroughs. Muslims should not be asked to "respect" stupid bigotry.

It is horrifying that such nonsense is now considered respectable, and that even the "Anti-Defamation League" has endorsed it. In fact, the "Ground Zero Mosque" hullabaloo is just one of many protests, on various pretexts, against the construction of mosques in various places around the U.S.A. If even Muslims can be singled out for this kind of harassment, then surely the rights of other, smaller religious minorities are in even greater danger.

Please post your comments below.

P.S.: Bartholomew's Notes on Religion has information about yet another anti-"mosque" protest that took place yesterday here in New York City. Meanwhile, Ed Brayton has written an interesting post about Balko on Muslim Integration in the US.

Further P.S., 8/30/2010: I just now found out about a group called the Coalition to Stop Islamophobia in America, which appears to have been involved in the August 22 counter-protest. The site includes a list of groups endorsing them. They also have a Facebook page. And here is a post containing contact info.

A former member
Post #: 61
Great statement!