New York Backpackers Message Board › Backpacker's Water

Backpacker's Water

V.
VanessaMoseley
New York, NY
Post #: 6
I am researching a water filtration / sterilization system for backpacking. What do you guys use? And what would you recommend, and / or recommend staying away from?
I'm new to the group so I don't think I know any of you, but it looks like you do some pretty cool sh**.
Looking forward to meeting soon, and grateful for any advice or experience on the water thing.
Cheers,
Vanessa.
Bill W
user 64263712
Newburgh, NY
Post #: 3
I have a MSR Miniworks and it does the job but requires the effort of pumping. I would rather have the Platypus Gravityworks system. It is lighter and requires no work. Fill it and sit back. http://www.backpacker...­
V.
VanessaMoseley
New York, NY
Post #: 7
Thanks Bill. Any thoughts on the UV light? It seems the only problem might be quantity and wanting to sterilize more than 1 liter at time...
Bill W
user 64263712
Newburgh, NY
Post #: 4
I've never used a UV light but in doing my research I chose to go with an actually filter because it does just that "FILTER" the water. The UV light will make the water safe to drink and on the plus side it does weigh less. But on the minus side it does require power. You could also go with water treatment tablets.
A former member
Post #: 1
Im a bit late to this, but the katadyn vario is my favorite. Its a bit bulky but well worth it, makes water taste great and safe since it has three filter in one. Takes no muscle to use at all. Dont go uv, your water might be safe but can taste like crap
Dave N.
user 164010242
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 2
I use the uv lights. New York water is easy to get crystal clear. If it's murky pack a few coffee filters. The pumps are bulky and new cartridges get pricy.