addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

New York Backpackers Message Board › group backpacking

group backpacking

Spencer M.
user 7946647
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Anyone know of good locations for a group of 12+ to backpack in and set up camp? Ideally said location would be close-ish to nyc...
Francisco
metope
Group Organizer
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 98
Harriman State Park for sure. There are a few campsite that can fit a big number of people. I have seen very boy scout groups camp at some of those so that would be your best bet for camping and close to NY.
Spencer M.
user 7946647
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Yeah I was thinking about Harriman. According to the NY State the group campsites are for bonafide groups only, which apparently does not include me and my kind... But thanks though, definitely appreciate it
A former member
Post #: 83
Spencer, I think the rule applies to established group sites only. However, there are plenty of shelters throughout the park that can accommodate large groups, and you don't need a permit to stay there. While shelters probably can sleep 6-8 people at most (varies from shelter to shelter) some of them have large flat areas around suitable for tents. 2 good sites are Tom Jones shelter and Bald Rocks. Both have water nearby and plenty of flat granite, grass around to pitch a tent.
Spencer M.
user 7946647
New York, NY
Post #: 3
Thanks for the insight! 'Tis most interesting information.