addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

NYC Node.JS Message Board › Job opportunity @ FiftyThree, makers of Paper for iPad

Job opportunity @ FiftyThree, makers of Paper for iPad

Aseem K.
aseemk
New York, NY
Post #: 6
Hi guys,

I'm a Node.js developer, new to NYC. I've been to a couple of these meetups, and I've enjoyed meeting you all.

I'm at a young company here called FiftyThree, and I wanted to share that we're hiring because I think you might find the opportunity really interesting.

FiftyThree is the company behind Paper, an iPad app for freeform writing/sketching/drawing. Paper has done really well since we launched five months ago; among other things, it won this year's Apple Design Award for iPad, it's been App of the Month, it's had over 2 million downloads, and it's used and loved by creators everywhere, including at Apple, Facebook, Nike, Pixar, Vimeo and more.

The company's higher-level goal is to bring creation tools into the post-PC era. We think there's a huge opportunity here, just like there was for Office when the PC started becoming popular. Mobile and tablets are changing everything.

Paper is just the beginning for FiftyThree, and we're working hard on our next product. We like to say that Paper is "where ideas begin"; what we're working on next is a service to "bring ideas together". To use a rough analogy, something along the lines of GitHub for ideas and creations.

We're building this service on Node.js -- I've been working with Node.js in production for over a year -- and we love it. We deploy to Heroku, but we're open to changing that, and we write both JavaScript and CoffeeScript.

We're just at the beginning stages though, and there's a ton to do. E.g. we expect to have a million users right when we launch -- so we'll need to make sure we can scale right from the start. A good problem to have. =)

Our problem space and opportunity also means there's a lot of room for creativity, on both the engineering and operations sides. E.g. we need to design and implement efficient algorithms for activity feeds, recommendations, and even sync and realtime collaboration down the line.

If this sounds interesting to you, reach out -- there's a lot more I'd love to share. In the meantime, you can also check out our formal jobs page.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear from you!

Cheers,
Aseem