addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

NYC on Rails Message Board › Learning Ruby in NYC this Fall

Learning Ruby in NYC this Fall

Avi F.
Avi
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Hi NYC on Rails,

As lots of you know, I, Avi Flombaum, have spent the last year teaching Ruby via Skillshare and at General Assembly. I've enjoyed tremendously sharing my love of this wonderful language with a lot of you and have been inspired by seeing many of you find new careers and passions.

I really try not using this group as a microphone for self-promotion, but given the beginner / learning focus of this group, I don't think it's too off topic to announce two new endeavors of mine in an effort to continue educating people about Ruby.

First, my friend Chyld Medford and I will be teaching a 4 Week Skillshare course on Intermediate Rails starting August 6th. It will cover some of the more advanced aspects of being a rails developer, such as using tools like pry and pow, proper ways of incorporating Javascript, utilizing ActiveRecord callbacks and understanding the SQL magic that goes on behind the scenes, and more. Lots of the course will be taught via analyzing real-world applications. I've created a 15% discount code for this group, MEETUP - http://skl.sh/Mh6JOx­

Second, I've started a school to teach code to people who can make a full-time commitment of 3 months. Basically a NYC version of Dev Bootcamp in SF. It's called the Flatiron School and more information is available on http://flatironschool.com­ . The tl;dr of it is that over the course of 12 weeks, monday through friday, 9am-6pm, you will work with me and a few other mentors, along with 20 students, to become a junior developer. It's an intense program but if you're serious about a career as an engineer, this is for you.

Happy to answer questions, hope this wasn't too annoying, see you all on Thursday at Levo League for a talk on the Turkee gem and at future meetups and hacker hours. Hope you're having a great summer,

Avi Flombaum