Teacher: LAURA REAL
Argentine Tango Dancer, Performer and Teacher with more than 17 years of experience. Don't miss this great opportunity to learn from the best!
LEVEL 2 – TANGO DIAGNOSTIC PROGRAM
The purpose of the Tango Diagnostics program is to help you identify areas in your dance to that you need to work on/develop. Each class will present you with exercise that will encourage the following questions. This dialogue will help you discover what it takes to bring your dancing to the next level.
Class 1– QUALITY OF THE LEAD/FOLLOW
This class is designed to “clean up” your dance and give it flow and grace. For leaders it is designed to eliminate the “extra steps” one makes when thinking what to do next or is uncertain of what to do next. The purpose is to develop the practice of leading with confidence. For followers it is designed to help you be prepared for anything and generate awareness so you can understand your contribution to equally creating the dance with your partner.
- Is what you lead clear and defined?
- Do you lead with intention?
- How well are you able to string together sequences and “mark” them?
- Do you take care of the follower?
Class 2– POSITION/STRUCTURE
- Are you aware of the structure of the dance, the basis of different movements, and how the follower and leader combine to make things happen?
- Are you prepared for any possibility, and do you contribute to keeping the leaders options open by not anticipating what is next?
This class is designed to build confidence for leaders and followers when dancing by understanding the structure of the dance. Through various exercises, you will understand the concept of axis and turns. By understanding the relationship between the dancers, you will have confidence and freedom in your movements—the ability to be expressed.
- How well are you aware of where the follower is in relationship to you?
- Are you aware of the follower’s steps (open, forward cross, backward cross)?
- Are you aware of the direction of the movement?
- Can you explore the idea of being responsible for everything that happens on the dance floor?
Class 3– MECHAN
- Are you aware of your position in relationship to the leaders—your movements and how they work together with the leader’s movements?
- Are you able to bring your expression to your movements?
This class is designed to thoroughly break down the mechanics of good technique. Leaders and Followers will both benefit from understanding the relationship and of the upper body and various movements. In this class we will focus on weight transfers, pivots and balance. Various exercises will be used to work on identifying areas you may need to further work on. Students will leave this class with a firm understanding of how these movements contribute to the quality and enjoyment of the dance. Such ideas like “not leading with the arms,” creating space and disassociation will also be explored.
Class 4– MAKING IT ALL WORK TOGETHER
In this class we will combine the work we did in classes 1 through 3 by introducing various sequences that utilize all the elements we’ve learned. The sequences introduced and knowledge of the above elements are developed to give you the ability to identify what works, what doesn’t work and why… the basis of growth.