NYC Web Design Meetup Message Board › Location for March 10: Silk Road Mocha

Location for March 10: Silk Road Mocha

A former member
Post #: 14
I'm truly sorry I wasn't able to make it for the Feb. 10 meeting, and that there seemed to be a last-minute problem with the location closing early which I wasn't able to help resolve.

Where did everyone wind up meeting? Did different groups wind up at different locations?

Pending more info/feedback about the Feb. 10 location(s), I'll confirm and post our location further in advance for next time.

-Tom
A former member
Post #: 1
Uhm... yeah... that was pretty lame, if I might say so as the place was simply not there. Please check out the place next time before setting up a meetup. crying
A former member
Post #: 2
7 of us went to Silk Road Mocha Cafe @, 30 Mott St. We went upstairs, put together a couple of tables and chatted about design, flash, php, mysql, ETC. It turned out to be a good group with a wide range of experiences. We chatted until about 9:30.

Jim

A former member
Post #: 17
Sorry I couldnt make it to the Feb meeting...

But it sounds as though it wasnt accessible since I read in one of the posts that they were upstair...I would hope that our future meetups will be at a venue that is accessible for a wheelchair.

Thanks,

John Moynihan
A former member
Post #: 4
Too bad I missed it. I leave work at 4:30. So I killed time at J&R looking for a new ethernet card until around 6 PM. I went to the Big Apple Tea house and saw no one was there. The girl at tea counter let me use the Internet to see what happened and then I found out about the change of venue. I walked over to the Silk Mocha which wasn't too far away, but when I got there I didn't see anyone. I asked the employees if anyone had come there from the NY Web design group. They said, no. So I left. The Big Apple Tea house was not a good place to meet. It had a bunch of coffee tables made from sawed off treelogs that could only accomodate made 6 people at most. The Mocha was better but both places were not wheel chair accessable because of stairs. confused
A former member
Post #: 3
John & John,

Sorry you guys missed it. I liked Silk Mocha because it was quiet enough to have a conversation.
The downstairs area is accessible, but may be a little small for the group.

Jim
A former member
Post #: 8
looking fwd to the next meeting.
A former member
Post #: 15
Dont worry, Silk Road Mocha has a few multi sublevels but the main level is totally wheelchair accessable.
The cross section looks something like this:

_________ Upper Sub Level (10 steps)
Entrance____TV+Seating Area_____________/
\_________ Lower Sublevel (3 steps)

The lower sublevel can be used, and the ground level area is perfect. Theres plenty movable adjustable seating and tables too.
Anyway I recommended it last month because I've been there before and found it the perfect place for other Meetups.
Its rarely packed and brightly lit and there's internet access.
Honestly their tea's and drinks are really sub-par. However its inexpensive and there's so much space.
I would recommend we try Silk Road Mocha again for those who haven't been there. (30 Mott Street)
A former member
Post #: 5
I put up a photo of what the Mocha Interior looks like in the Photo Section. I shot this on the night of the last meeting. I only went in to the front part of the store to check it out. I did not realize everyone was in the back upstairs. That purplish square hanging down in the middle is some kind of projection screen for computer and video images. The people at the front counter told me no one came in from the Web Design group so I left. As you can see the place is not crowded and it was very quiet when I went in, which I believe is ideal for a group like ours. There is room for us all to meet in the front part, but if the group grows beyond 20 people in size, things could get tight. Taking pictures is part of my job, so I carry a camera with me at all times. To get this shot only took a few seconds.
smile
A former member
Post #: 15
Silk Road Mocha it is then.

Full listing: http://webdesign.meet...­. com/19/events/4218785/

If the change affects your plans to attend, please take a moment to update your RSVP. (You can RSVP 'No' or 'Maybe' as well as 'Yes'.)

You can always get in touch with me through the 'Contact Organizer' feature on the Meetup.com website: http://webdesign.meet...­. com/19/suggestion/

cheers,
Tom