NYC Web Design Meetup Message Board › HTML / CSS Course - Please Share

HTML / CSS Course - Please Share

Joshua K.
joshkehn
New York, NY
Post #: 4
Hey Guys!

My name is Josh and I'm a co-organizer of the CodeIgniter meetup. I also ran a course last year called collabraCode(); that was designed to take existing developers and teach them JavaScript, jQuery and some web-centric frontend development. We haven't had the time to put together a second run until now. This time we're changing it up a bit and trying to teach beginners the fundamentals of HTML and CSS in a short two week course.

The difference between this course and the previous one is the target audience. Teaching a new way of thinking (e.g. programming) is generally difficult. For collabraCode(); last year we only accepted people who were already used to programming, and in this way established a common baseline of experience with which everyone was familiar. Everyone knew basic control statements and data structures; we just had to teach syntax and the peculiarities of the JavaScript language. For this new course we decided to take a step back and introduce beginners to something that serves as an easy entrance into the wider world of programming.

Our roadmap for the next year is to create a series of courses targeted at developers in the beginning and intermediate range, with a focus on training new developers and helping existing ones broaden their knowledge. Specifically, we will be focusing on HTML / CSS for beginners and JavaScript, jQuery, Python and databases for intermediate level programmers. Hopefully after a few runs of each we will be able to start offering additional opportunities to expand knowledge.

If you know anyone who may be interested in a beginner HTML/CSS course, please forward this to them. You can find a more detailed outline for the course at http://byjakt.com/cou...­.

We're very excited to continue teaching and appreciate your help! If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions, please don't hesitate to email me (josh AT byjakt.com) or reach me on my cell (212) 300-5724.

Best,

-Josh