NYC Vegan EatUP Message Board › Televised RoundUP

Televised RoundUP

Demetrius
aqknight
Group Organizer
Astoria, NY
Hey hey hey.

Glad to see we have some SPRING weather rolling out here. With a touch of Summer temps starting with 7s (wide grin).

Was quite happy to kick April off with a wonderful Lunch Bunch; sharing laughs, eats, and a nice walk to Peacefood Downtown with Martina, Peter and Carmella for desserts.

One new flower in the proverbial NYC vegan garden is Dr. Cow's new storefront. Yup! You read that correctly. They JUST opened a place in Williamsburg with their raw nut cheeses and plenty more.

Do know Harlem has a new vegan spot in Seasoned Vegan. Hearing very very good things about the food, and hope to taste some in these next few days with EatUP co-pilot Doug.

Speaking of new, or kind of, it seems as if Loving Hut Manhattan is becoming a variant of itself with the new name of V-Life. Stay tuned on this front.

I spoke with chef-owner Guy V of Beyond Sushi last week. He’s looking at expanding Beyond to California, with NYC being likely to get another location within the year. Maybe two or even three before 2016 starts. And in his spare time, he might launch Beyond Tacos for us (fingers crossed).

Want to note one of the first places I ever took this group (sniffle, tear up), ‘Snice West Village is closing April 25th. The Park Slope, Brooklyn will continue on. The SoHo location closed in February.

Super excited to learn Smorgasburg now has vegan desserts - donuts even - from the award-winning Dun-Well Doughnuts! They’re joining Regal VeganBunna Cafe, Monk’s Meats and ’the NYC vegan business I’m saying to watch this year' Chickpea & Olive.

Speaking of watching…
Quite excited to share that Our Hen House is now on TV! Weekly!! Jasmin and Mariann record the show in their new home borough of Brooklyn at BRIC Media. They already have a handful of episodes available, with some very familiar faces :) Episodes are available online for those of us without cable tv. (Yes, we exist! Quite nicely thankyouverymuch.)

Pleased to note NYC’s vegan wunderkind and Vegan Iron Chef 2014 champion Jay Astafa jumps into the reality tv fray. We'll see the results Monday April 21 8:30 pm Eastern on the Food Network’s Rewrapped. Hope you will help promote t/his episode, and thus veg life too.

Hope that at least a few of you already know that another local guy made good, Rob Bigwood, arm wrestling champion and vegan has been on AMC's Game of Arms representin’ big time. Check ‘im out.

And I’m very very pleased to say Vegan Mashup's 2nd season is back on tv! This vegan cooking show (that I produce) is on public television NOW in San Francisco, Pittsburgh and much of Maryland. More markets will be added in the coming days. Of course, you can request your public tv station to add us (back on?) now! Our whole season is ready to roll with guest chefs Ayinde and Cinnamon Snail owner Adam Sobel.

Speaking of producing, I am still working full-time on Vegucated. Much of that time is spent populating, strategizing and working our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Which means I’m reading A LOT about what’s happening the vegandom nationally. I sort of feel like a walking information booth for a city! And otherwise, like a deacon of the cyberworld church!!
We are having a contest to celebrate our Facebook Page's 75,000 Likes that you all may want to enter. The BIG USA prize package includes quite a few goodies – edible and otherwise.

Recommending everyone here consider attending the delicious and vegetable-focused Young’s NYC May 1–3 popup. I was very very pleased by this team’s work in early March. Was even a bit sad about the 'long’ wait for their return. Then again, we do have Spring Holidays coming up this week, so there is that.

To prepare for those, TOMORROW Saturday April 12 you may want to head over to this month’s Vegan Shop-Up. As some of you know, I find this event quite exhilarating and appreciate its existence immensely. Take some cash, your appetite and go get your vegan community + shop on.
Please compliment the people working the tables too! It’s often the (co-)owner of the business there. And you can add to your digital (or paper) calendar, May’s Shop-Up will be Saturday 5/19.

Just shy of two weeks after that will be the 5th* annual Veggie Prom on Friday, June 6 at Fontana’s. Please buy tickets right away to be sure you get in. (*DAMN! that was quick)

COMING SOON! picnic potlucks :)

Hope you received at least a couple useful pieces of info from all that. Thanks for living and loving compassionately.

Demetrius

p.s. Doug & I appreciate continuing to receive your notices of new and/or closing veg spots