The New York Cloud and Grid Computing Meetup Group Message Board › Call for Ideas for our Cloud and GRID Computing "Meetup" Group
|A former member||
I have received a couple emails, and wanted to ask for your feedback, and any suggestions. I also
wanted to use the blog-nature of meetup and ask you, to please, post as much as we can here on
"meetup" as we feel we can. This will stimulate involvement :-)
Ok it means we may go down some diverse roads, but sometimes, we need to consider
things that are different.
I really need your INPUT. I have often found that other people's ideas, are better than mine (oops did I really say that) . I tend to be "OK" at "organizing", but I am not so good at things which need; creativity, marketing and "soft things".
So here's a few things, that I would love your feedback on, and these are random and in no real order;
1. what's the best type of format, for meetings? In person? What location? Web/Online? New York, New Jersey? At a business Location? A Diner? A "Start Up/Incubator Site" ?
2. Speakers - good or bad? What about a workshop? I do NOT plan to start off by suggesting - these - I could do, and if we get desperate I will. But I would rather have your ideas, please.
3. What do you think of Cloud Computing. Where and how does GRID Computing fit in? Where is the money to be made in these technologies?
4. What are the challenges? Who needs help? Who has issues? Who has the next great idea?
5. I do not plan any "meeting" for a little while. I want to receive everyone's thoughts and ideas first. Then let's together see what will suit us? I do not expect to find a solution that makes everyone happy. But let's see what we can come up with - OK??
New York, NY
This is Katherine, a new member to this group.
How are you all doing?
Honestly, Cloud is new to me. But, the following is my two cents contribution to the group:
One thing for sure is that for those who are having a Data Center, and would like to save money on their electricity bills, should go ahead, and apply for the government incentive program ASAP before the $$$$$ is running out. I met a rep from NYSERDA in the 8th Cloud Expo, and he was helping people to apply for the incentive. Unfortunately, I lost his business card, and I forgot his name!!! Anyway, try to go to nyserda.org/data-centers or coned.com/energyefficiency or call 212-701-7222 for those who want to learn more about the DataCenter Efficiency Program : )
By the way, if any of you have a chance to get in touch with the NYSERDA rep, please say "Sorry" to him for me, because he tries to help me to save money, and I don't even remember his name and/or his phone number!!!