The New York Permaculture Meetup Message Board Archive: All posts before 11/18/2012 › Seeking Kombucha SCOBY

Seeking Kombucha SCOBY

Kelly
user 6646206
New York, NY
Post #: 6
Anyone have any Kombucha babies to pass on?

I'm in Inwood but get down to Mid-town every day, let me know! :-)
Joshua M.
user 7409213
Somerville, MA
Post #: 5
if you get a hold of one, please let me know? my friend lives in inwood also and would love to make some kombucha joshua [at] inspiringwebcopy [dot] com. Thanks!
Natalie
user 9256008
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 27
You can check with the 4th Street Food Co-op, a few members there brew it,
also, there's a technique for making a scoby from a brew of kombucha, on this blog, and I read that the author has offered scobies to people:
http://www.brooklynfe...­
Adam
user 12560379
New York, NY
Post #: 3
if you get a hold of one, please let me know? my friend lives in inwood also and would love to make some kombucha joshua [at] inspiringwebcopy [dot] com. Thanks!

i have a bunch, i live in prospect park but my studio is in greenpoint. get in touch adam at adamkrausephoto dot com
Annabel
user 53669382
New York, NY
Post #: 1
I have scobies! (kombucha mothers). It's been a long time since this was posted but contact me via the Meetup or perhaps delete it if you've succeeded!
Matthew
Tribalwind
Baldwin, NY
Post #: 55
i've got a few now too, but nassau is a tad far from ya.

also you could just buy scobies online and through ebay etc,
$6 shipped right to you,
bit.ly/Qe0coB

i'm looking to move up from my (2) gallon jars and start brewing in a 5 gallon jug.
i'd thought of using one of those Igloo/gatorade type 5-gallon coolers with the spigot , but they're plastic and not suure how great that would be for brewing in...
at $20 they're reasonably priced , the only glass that big i've found with a wide mouth are the ones made for Vodka-infusing and they were pricey.
Matthew
Tribalwind
Baldwin, NY
Post #: 56
as i research and learn more about brewing and fermenting, i come across lots of new info that i havent heard in many other places.
example. the scoby isnt really needed to create a new batch.

this was interesting
http://www.homebrewta...­

i had some kombucha stored in my pantry in ball jars. opened one and found it was growing a scoby!
i guess there was still some caffeine ,sugar and enough oxygen in the jar to grow a new one.

Monika S.
user 61210252
Saugerties, NY
Post #: 1
I have so many! and I am so happy to share. they are very healthy mothers! if anyone is still looking, you can contact me anytime :o)
Monika S.
user 61210252
Saugerties, NY
Post #: 2
also! important tips about your kombucha babies and mamas --- don't store with metal lids OR put plastic between the metal and your potion. ... and don't use any metal appliances when dealing with your kombucha. the cultures will corrode the metals, and you'll be drinking heavy metals! so be careful! ... best is to find some BPA free plastic tops for the second fermentation/bottling stage.

happy brewing!
Annabel
user 53669382
New York, NY
Post #: 6
i always put wax paper between the lid and the jar if all i have is a metal lid.