The New York Permaculture Meetup Message Board Hurricane Sandy Response › Opportunities to join on-the-ground relief efforts

Opportunities to join on-the-ground relief efforts

Alice U.
truelifenow
Kew Gardens, NY
Post #: 29
If you’re currently involved in relief efforts (i.e. Red Cross, OccupySandy, etc.) and can share your experiences, offer some guidance, or would like to invite others from the Meetup to join you, please post here (We can even post specific dates/times on the calendar.)
Annabel
user 53669382
New York, NY
Post #: 14
I helped out at a Red Cross Center when they were initially in Park Slope. It was well organized and I felt useful, assisting in organizing clothing donations and helping people find what they needed. I just found the location on nyc.gov or the Red Cross's evacuation center maps on their websites, and showed up there. I would recommend this as a way to get involved... find the nearest active evacuation center near you, and just call or go down and see what they need. They needed weekend and evening volunteers especially.

We've also heard a lot about Occupy Sandy and Occupy Sandy Relief's efforts. There are multiple organizational hubs within Occupy. I do not know which are the most effective to get involved with, but this seems to be a central website:

http://interoccupy.ne...­