addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The New York Permaculture Meetup Message Board Mutual aid, housing & co-housing, swaps and skill shares. › Speaker on history of how Yonkers fed itself 1000 CE to the present?

Speaker on history of how Yonkers fed itself 1000 CE to the present?

Joshua M.
user 7409213
Somerville, MA
Post #: 8
Hello Permies,

Someone from the Crestwood Historical Society asjked if I could speak about the history of how Yonkers fed itself, and I said I could not but I knew people who might. I'd love to find someone who could talk about this--people keeping chickens and pigs, how food was transported, how culture was or was not kept by immigrants (it's a lragely Italian area), how the indigenous people farmed or stewarded land, the wearing out of land or sustaining thereof, what the consequences were of different choices.

This is a rather conservative area, and food is not a partisan issue. It will work better to have everyone seeing clearly and being aware of what our situation is in historical context. And then to be able to make decisions about it with impartiality and breadth of vision.

Any suggestinos welcome

best,

Joshua